Double exposure effect, as an analogue technique, has been around for a while. In theory, double exposure effect means to blend two images (e.g. a portrait and a landscape) together and allows for deep, meaningful and fascinating combinations. In photography industry, double exposure is about a double or multiple-exposure photo involving blending two different pictures to make a single one. This technique is usually used in films. The second picture becomes superimposed into the first one, creating unique effects.
Then you may wonder if you can create a double exposure photography by yourself easily. Here check the following guide to learn how to make double exposure effect to your photo.
Step 1: Select an image to Photoshop
Launch Photoshop on your computer and add the image you want to make double exposure effect to the program. Make sure the image you select does not have complicated background to make it easier to work with.
Step 2: Cut out the subject from the image background
As the image need to have a clean background, we need to cut it out from its background. Just use "Magic Wand Tool" and click anywhere on the background to select it.
Then go to Select > Inverse to make the subject selected. Then use the "Refine Mask" to make the edge smoother and more blurred and save it out on its own layer with a layer mask.
Step 3: Make double exposure effect by blending two images
Select the second image for composition. Drag the second image above the first image layer and adjust them according to your need. You can use Blend Mode option to adjust the blended image double exposure effect.
You can also do other adjustment like Hue & Saturation, etc. to this double exposure photography to make it more vivid. After adjustment, you can save out your double exposure effect photo from Photoshop.
Check the video tutorial to more detailed instruction:
There are lots of online double exposure effect photo editor on the internet, you can choose one of them to create your double exposure effect photography. Let's take pho.to for example to create double exposure photography online.
1. Enter the pho.to on the browser and find its double exposure effect section on its effects. You can see the introduction of double exposure effect (combine two photos into one sophisticated picture).
2. Choose Upload a photo to select photo directly from computer or add a photo by URL or from Facebook. You can also use its sample photos to do the double exposure effect to check how it works. After finishing choosing images, click "Process" button to start combination.
3. After applying, you can click "Save & Share" to directly download the double exposure effect photo, get the link or share it directly to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinerest, VK or Dropbox. You can also do other editing before saving like adding frames, stickers, custom text, etc.
In this mobile world, there is nothing that a Smartphone cannot do, including double exposure effect. It is true that there are many photo editors have the capacity to blend two images together and create double exposure effect.
And we are going to share top 10 double exposure photo apps for iOS and Android devices and take two as examples to exmplain the process of making double exposure effect in this post.
You can use Fused Photo Editor & Double Exposure Video Blender on your iPhone or iPad to make double exposure effect easily. This app allows you to blend videos, photos or a combination of both.
Fused is another versatile double exposure photo app for iPhone. Its features include:
1. Blend two picture, two videos or picture and video to make double exposure effects.
2. Adjust the color and other parameters of the picture on each layer.
3. Include 20 real-time blending modes with editable options.
4. Map out masking area using erase tool.
1. This app could produce high quality outputs.
2. It has extensive custom options.
1. It only supports iOS devices.
Create double exposure effect on iOS (iOS 11 included)
1. Import a Background and a Foreground by choosing video clips or images from your Camera Roll or its Artists Collection packs.
2. Swipe to preview and choose the Blend Mode for your project.
3. Make color adjustment to each layer and export your double exposure image to your Camera Roll or directly share it to the social network.
Diana Photo can help you make double exposure effect photography on Android. And it also works on iOS.
Platform: iOS & Android
Diana Photo is an all-in-one photo editor and double exposure photo app. Its easy-to-use features include:
1. Capture pictures with the built-in camera for editing further.
2. Import or take two photos for creating dual exposure effects.
3. Adjust the parameters to make a unique result.
4. Add texts or emoji on the dual exposure pictures.
1. This photo editor supports both iPhone and Android devices.
2. The interface is straightforward.
1. The iOS version is paid, while the Android app is free of charge.
Create double exposure effect on Android
1. Open the app and shake your device (or use dice icon). It will draw two pictures from your photo gallery and give you its proposition. Or you can shoot or choose photo by yourself for combination.
2. You can improve the proposition by using different filters.
3. Save the proposition or share it on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Blend Editor is a popular double exposure photo app for iOS devices. Its key features include:
1. Blend two photos in Camera Roll to create the dual exposure effect.
2. Contain 5 artistic photo collections with extensive blend modes.
3. Preview the result effect in real time.
4. Adjust foreground and background using finger gestures.
5. Save the results in high quality.
1. The interface is intuitive.
2. All features are free of charge.
1. It is not available to Android.
Pic Blender is a versatile tool to make double exposure photos. Its overall features include:
1. Blend two photos into one to create double exposure effects.
2. Include hundreds of background and other pictures for creating dual exposure photos.
3. Adjust the transparency level, brush size, and other options.
4. Save the result to Camera Roll or social networks.
1. This double exposure photo app offers extensive custom options.
2. It is a freeware.
1. The output quality is not very good.
Platform: iOS & Android
As its name said, Double Exposure is a dedicated double exposure photo app. Its main features include:
1. Take two pictures and combine them together.
2. Or import two photos from mobile phone to make dual exposure effects.
3. Apply filters on the result in one tap.
4. Save the results to memory or share to social media.
1. This photo editor is rather simple.
2. It is compatible with both iOS and Android.
1. It lacks some necessary photo editing tools and custom options.
Studio MX is another popular double exposure photo app for iPhone. Its principal features include:
1. Load two photos from Camera Roll or Album.
2. Blend photos together automatically after loaded.
3. Adjust and match the quality of two pictures spontaneously.
4. Export the dual exposure photos to iPhone or social media.
1. It is able to make dual exposure effects in one step.
2. This photo editor is free of charge.
1. It does not have any custom options.
Platform: iOS & Android
Photo Mixer is a really cool photo editing app. Its attractive features include:
1. Import one or two pictures from your smartphone for creating dual exposure effects.
2. Contain plentiful background images.
3. Adjust the color, transparency level and other parameters.
4. Take pictures using the built-in camera tool.
1. This double exposure photo app is free to use.
2. The interface is user friendly.
1. There are too many annoy ads.
Platform: iOS & Android
Photo Blender is a powerful double exposure photo app. Its pro-level features include:
1. Upload two pictures from your smartphone for blending together.
2. Offer dozens of blending modes to create unique dual exposure effects.
3. Use brush the erase double exposure effect on specific parts.
4. Adjust the opacity, size and other options.
1. It is available to both iOS and Android.
2. This photo editor provides extensive custom options.
1. Beginners may be confused without guides.
Instant Blend is a quick way to make double exposure photos on iPhone. Its key features include:
1. Quickly combine multiple pictures to create double exposure style.
2. Apply filters on the dual exposure picture or each layer.
3. Contains various blending modes.
4. Write stylish texts on the results.
1. It is a simply way to make fun with your pictures.
2. This app is lightweight and fast.
1. Some features are only available to pro version.
Dual Exposure is a dedicated double exposure photo app for Android handsets. Its main features include:
1. Choose your pictures from Photo Gallery and create double exposure art.
2. Include dozens of background pictures.
3. Adjust blend effect using finger gestures.
4. Integrate basic photo editing tools, such as rotate, crop and more.
1. It is a free-to-use photo editor.
2. This app provides more useful tools.
1. The ads are annoying.
Based on the introductions above, you might learn about 10 best double exposure photo apps for iOS and Android in this post. Attractive photos generally catch people’s attention, especially on social media.
If you are tired about post regular pictures, it is a good idea to try the double exposure effects. And the double exposure photo apps shared above could help you to do this job easily and quickly. If you have better recommends, you can leave a message below.