What is the best photo editor? It is a hard question to answer. Photoshop might be a great photo editor, but might not suitable for the beginners. Even if you are a professional photographer, Photoshop is not your only choice. Whether you need to create some photo collage, or touch up the portrait, there are more professional photo editors you should take into consideration.
The article compiles a list of the top 50 best photo editors for Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android. Moreover, you can also find the different choices for newbies as well as the professionals. If you have any difficulty to get a desired photo editor for your device, read the article and select the desired one accordingly.
Adobe Photoshop is the ultimate photo manipulation program. It is the photo editor for many artists and designers, which is able to create and enhance photos, illustration and 3D artwork, design website and edit videos.
1. Manage all the photographs with numerous filters, presets and layers.
2. Creative Cloud to create with Photoshop tools wherever you’re inspired.
3. Step to step tutorials covers from the basic to advanced techniques.
1. It should be difficult to master all the advanced features for the beginners.
2. Subscribe Photoshop and the collections of creative app with a high price.
Affinity Photo is another professional photo editor works on Windows, Mac and iPad. The program integrates with advanced features, such as RAW editing, HDR merge, panorama stitching, batch processing and PDS editing.
1. Full RAW development including PSD and HEIF with all the image details.
2. Huge macro and batch processing improvements for photo editing.
3. Effective noise reduction, hot pixel removal and color space development.
1. Cannot save the custom workspaces to edit the photos in a batch process.
2. Lack of the import files, photo management or lens correction tools.
Corel PaintShop is more than a photo editor, but also a photo viewer and organizer. It is a power, versatility and intuitive tool for any photo or design project, which you can find multiple high quality photo editing filters.
1. Design photos with text, brush, drawing and painting with great designs.
2. Remove flaws and distractions from a small scratch to the background.
3. Lay based editing capabilities to retouch and enhance images.
1. Ineffective chromatic aberration removal to reduce the image noises.
2. Slow for some operation and might get a cluttered user interface.
CyberLink PhotoDirector provides a wide range of filters, to manage basic photo editing or do achieve deeper effects. There are also automated effects like global and local adjustments to tweak for the best output image.
1. Express layer packs contain all the layer components to make up images.
2. AI style engine to analyze images in detail and identify different aspects.
3. Create impressive photos with creative presets, such as HDR, B/W, etc.
1. Lack of Len-profile and inadequate chromatic aberration corrections.
2. It is a little slow to run the photo editor on the low-end PC.
ACDSee Photo Studio is another photo editor for professionals. It enables you to manage, edit, develop, view photos, and even share them online. There are numerous editing filters, effects and brushes to touch up photos.
1. Add several tags on photos, like GPS location, and rate and label photos.
2. Organize the photos with face detection and facial recognition tools.
3. Built-in support for over 500 camera modes and edge-aware brushing.
1. Fall short of the RAW camera file conversion and usability as competitors.
2. Pay for a monthly subscription charge to use the online storage service.
How about photo editors for portraits? When you need to touch up the selfies and portraits within clicks, WidsMob Portrait Pro is able to touch up your skin, enhance all portrait points and even have an excellent makeup for portrait.
1. Customize the touch up presets to edit the portraits within one click.
2. Makeup blush, lipstick, colored contacts, eye, nose, cheek and more.
3. Manually select the skin areas to smooth skin, change color tone, etc.
1. Lack of the hair touchup features to change the styles for hairs.
2. The Photoshop plugin is not available to edit portrait within Photoshop.
Zone Photo Studio is another layer supported photo editor with multiple presets, retouching tools, cataloging and even video editing features. The program supports both RAW and JPEG photographs.
1. Import the photos automatically and sort the photos with different data.
2. Get unlimited storage space for photos on the zonercamer online gallery.
3. Standard editing tools and over 35 special effects filters to edit photos.
1. Limited number of advanced features to apply stunning photo effects.
2. Complicated process to do a simple and easy transition process.
Similar to the other professional photo editors, Capture One is another RAW editor offers an end-to-end captures, organize and edit workflow for designers and professional users with extensive editing tools and high quality results.
1. Connect to camera to compose images, adjust settings and carry out files.
2. Organize and manage a large collection of images by creating a catalogue.
3. Adjustments for different filters are divided into various tabbed panes.
1. Non-response editing elements problem and frequently crash issues.
2. Lack of some essential features for HDR, panorama and face recognition.
DxO PhotoLab is an advanced photo editor with most flexible and powerful processing and correction tools. You can take control of a number of settings to adjust the correction and other imperfection to get a perfection image.
1. Intelligently applied to all similar points within the area you’ve identified.
2. Maintain the same level of detail and colors with noise reduction technology.
3. Optical correction modules to correct any flaws in your lenses.
1. Do not support for correct the lenses for the latest Fujifilm camera.
2. Default settings include too many automatic adjustments.
On1 Photo RAW is an ultimate multiple layers photo editor and photo manager that provides all new editing features. It enables you to browse, organize and edit the RAW photos in a batch process.
1. Manage and organize hundreds of built-in filters, presets and LUTs.
2. Effortless advanced masking tools with four different masking modes.
1. Provides only some basic and immature features to edit photos.
2. Lack of the dual monitor support for advanced editing features.
GIMP is an open source and free photo editor with basic photo editing tools, like select, crop, eraser, paint bucket, brush and more. It custom and enhance photos with advanced photo retouching techniques, even for the interface.
1. Extended add-on programs to enrich the program with flexible features.
2. Support all the photo formats as well as most of the popular RAW images.
3. There is a community developed for the program with frequently updates.
1. Free photo editor is not fully compatible with the latest Windows 10.
2. Complicated to beginners since documentation is often missing or outdated.
PhotoScape is another free photo editor, which bundles with lots of filters and tools for photos, such as viewer, batch editor, page, combine, animated GIF, print, splitter, screen capture, color picker, rename, face search and more.
1. Provide different templates to print photos and create slideshow files.
2. Work with animated GIF files as well as the popular RAW formats.
3. Stitch photos in different modes, such as panorama and photo collage.
1. Basic photo editing features without advanced parameters and settings.
2. It should be a complicated process to get a combined result.
How about the free photo editors for Mac? Photos and Preview should be the two default programs of your MacBook. It can handle RAW images from the popular digital cameras as well as the Live Photos/HEIC/JPEG/PNG/BMP.
1. Import images and automatically group photos into different albums by date.
2. Support live photo editing with Live, Loop, Bounce and Long Exposure.
3. Provide basic editing tools and enhance auto-correction features.
1. Limited photo filters and cannot adjust them to get a satisfied result.
2. Cannot edit the automatically generated albums accordingly.
Google Photos might take granted as a cloud service to storage photos and videos from iPhone, Dropbox, Flickr, OneDrive and more. Just as the name of the program, it is also an excellent free photo editor with advanced features.
1. Image search technology to personal photos with artificial intelligence.
2. Free unlimited cloud photo storage space within resolution limits.
3. Use AI to suggest the photos to share with different contacts.
1. Limited editing features to undo for editing or blemish/red eye removal.
2. The photo categorization feature is not as useful as the other photo editors.
Photo Pos Pro is another free photo editor offers an array of editing tools with novice layouts. Whether you need to remove the unwanted parts, or fix poor photos, you can always find a desired feature within the program.
1. Preset curves options and one-click adjustment tools to enhance images.
2. Multiple filters, effects and even brushes with further customized options.
3. Create stunning text effects, frame and collages with different types of tools.
1. Lack of layer effects for the texts and controls over the files.
2. Duplicating layers seems convoluted, especially for the beginners.
Different from the other free photo editors, Paint.net uses a tabbed document interface, which is able to handle multiple images with ease, which the tabs display a live thumbnail instead of the text description of the image.
1. Blur, sharpen, distort, emboss and remove that pesky red-eye effect.
2. Record every change you make in a list that you can undo and redo easily.
3. Support user created plugin to add more desired filters and functions.
1. Limited editing features, brush works, no burn and dodge filters.
2. No text correction after applying other effects.
Pixia is one of the best free photo editors with multiple overlays, layers, concealing, features and more. If you were a creative talent in comic, you can always take advantage of the program to create some special images.
1. Full color graphics with masking and layers to manipulating the images.
2. Create as many layers as memory lasts with the max graphic size.
3. Apply a small collection of different filters on the frames you're working on.
1. Frequent freezing problems when you apply filters on the photographs.
2. Complicated and outdated user interface, which is hard to find a feature.
In order to apply some cool effects to your photographs, Image Trick is a simple and free photo editor with 48 filters and effects. You can adjust and apply the color, focus, distort, Gaussian blur, crystalize, star-shine.
1. Each filter has a set of controls to tweak the parameters you want to apply.
2. Image generator to produce designs and patterns to use in your artwork.
3. 30 different masks that you can apply for heart frame, Apple logo and more.
1. Photos integration does not work properly as the other programs.
2. Need to upgrade to the Pro version to release all the features.
Inkscape is another open source vector photo editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. It offers drawing pencils, shape tools, text tools, embedded bitmaps, clone features as well as manipulation features for editing photos.
1. Gradient editor of multi-stop gradient, color selector and color picker.
2. Multi-line text with outline fonts, kerning, letter-spacing and line-spacing.
3. Live watching and editing the document tree in the XML editor.
1. There are lots of crash and freeze issues with the Mac version.
2. Steep learning curve and weak text formatting tools.
If you just need to resize some photos for your blog, Image Tuner might be a nice free photo editor you can take into consideration. It is able to resize, rename, convert and watermark the images within a batch process.
1. Convert between most popular image formats, rename images as desired.
2. Multiple editing features to flip, rotate, colorize, crop, round and apply filters.
3. Add either watermark or image to your photos with logo or image name.
1. Limited editing features and enhances options to get a desired photo.
2. It is not fully compatible with the latest Windows 10 64 bits.
Pixlr is a free online photo editor available on web as well as smartphones. It has the similar user interface as Photoshop that you can edit/adjust/enhance images on layers, or uses the extensive photo effects and filters.
1. Built-in collage maker with plentiful templates to make photo collages.
2. Auto Fix feature to correct, enhance and fix imperfect photos easily.
3. Provide extensive pro-level photo editing features to enhance photos.
1. Lacks of features as the other photo editors, such as photo card templates.
2. It should be difficult to use the program crossing different devices.
PicMonkey is another popular online photo editor for free. The built-in touch up tools can help you retouch selfies online or on mobile phones. Moreover, you can design social media covers, photo cards, posters or more.
1. Dedicated collage maker to create photo collage with personal pictures.
2. Integrates all photo editing features to adjust, enhance or decorate photos.
3. Enjoy the photo editing features cross platforms seamlessly.
1. Ask for your personal information for registry the online photo editor.
2. Add watermark on each result automatically without upgrade to Pro.
As a web-based photo editor, Fotor offers all basic photo editing tools, like crop, resize, text, retouch and more, over 100 photo effects and filters to produce special effects and dozens of picture frames or hundreds of stickers.
1. Integrate over 1000 templates for social media covers, posters, cards, etc.
2. Support to upload images from local hard drive and social media sites.
3. Easy to adjust exposure, highlights, shadows, reset curves and more.
1. In order to release more features and remove Ads, you have to use Pro.
2. Bugs and freezes should be another headache problem for the program.
Pizap is another free online photo editor for social media sites in both HTML5 and Flash. You can upload the pictures from your hard drive, using social networks, cloud storage or catalog of stock images for further editing.
1. Apply emoji, filters, effects, stickers and other elements to have fun with.
2. Multiple functions to manage, edit, collage, design and touch up photos.
3. Design your own YouTube cover, Twitter cover and Facebook cover maker.
1. Constant advertising and paid content available here and there.
2. Poor color correction algorithm to touch up and edit the photos.
Whether you are a novice designer, or a professional artist, you can always create a satisfied photo with Canva. The online photo editor provides quick filters that you only need to edit photos online without much effect.
1. Advanced settings for filter, adjust, crop, resize, rotate, flip and download.
2. Access to more than 8000 templates to design a satisfied result with ease.
3. Provide 1GB free storage to upload photos and assets to edit photos.
1. The performance of the program depends on your Internet connection.
2. It only works with JPEG files with outdated Flash players only.
BeFunky is the top online photo editor to edit photos, make collages and create designs. You can find hundreds of eye-catching fashion styles and photo effects and well-designed templates you can manage with.
1. All these filters are obvious, with sliders or choices to manage with.
2. Get layer manager, edit tools, touch up, image effect, frames, graphics, etc.
3. Auto fill service to get pretty good picture collages automatically.
1. 80% additional content of the online version requires purchasing.
2. There is too much advertising when using the free online version.
Compare with other online image editors, LunaPic seems lagging in the interface. It has a solid slate of unique photo edits and effects. You can make B/W photos and add scratchy moving vertical age lines to design movie effect.
1. Important images from Facebook, Chrome, Instagram, URL and etc.
2. Adjust GIF animations, add B/W background, get cartoon files and effects.
3. Get over 200 image effects, doubles edit and adjust tools online.
1. Both the photo effects and the designs are outdated and boring.
2. Restriction on the maximum size for the output image files.
iPiccy is a versatile online photo editor to touch up meal tastier as well as portraits. It has a large set of tools for editing image online, and even enables you to change color of hair, pupil, blemish, shine and even your skin.
1. Change the tonality, shadow, contrast and other parameters with ease.
2. Image enhancements to crop, color correction, filters and effects.
3. Offer virtually all of its content in a free form, with the exception for filters.
1. Only work with the JPEG files, but incompatible with the RAW formats.
2. Lack zoom function and cannot edit the photos in a full screen mode.
FotoFlexer is the online photo editor has basic edits, effects, animations, and the ability to beautify, distort and decorate your images. Moreover, there is an eyedropper tool that helps you use the color freely making more creation.
1. Full-screen editing canvas with all editing tools, such as rotation, crop, etc.
2. Provide unlimited work with some advanced masks and layers.
3. Offer tools with a single mouth click and some extra effective editing tools.
1. Provide beautify module and advanced edits only for basic controls.
2. Sign in for certain operations that you cannot navigate back.
PhotoFunia is an attractive free online photo editor with easy use interface. It provides filters, clip art, light effects, funny faces, and in-built posters to add glamorous effects to your photos with your imagination and creativity.
1. The face-recognition technology can bring much fun to your photos.
2. Choose from more than 300 scenes or fun effects to touch up files.
3. Allow you to create amazing photographic masterpieces with pre-sets.
1. Just provide the basic editing features and filters to beautify photos.
2. Have detection problems in bright and dark photos.
Adobe Photoshop Express is the free photo editor for Android phone and iPhone. It enables you to create magic in each of your photos and modify everything you need to find a spectacular design in a very short time.
1. Provide Looks, Crop, Corrections, Redeye, Borders and Healing Brush.
2. Allow adjusting multiple parameters to balance colors of your photos.
3. Transplanted photos from Photoshop and able to fix photo noises.
1. Limited filters, sacrifices creativity and versatility for simplicity.
2. The frequently reported crashing problems for the Android versions.
Camera360 is a selfie photo editor with funny stickers. Instead of the basic features to rotate, crop and other basic features, the program provides more than 200 related filters to make up portraits look beautiful.
1. Revolutionary 3D funny stickers to make selfies creative and more of fun.
2. Embed a face fix tool to deal with the wrinkles and blotches within one click.
3. Real-time makeup beauty camera for eyes, tooth, lips, nose and face.
1. Lags and crashes in most low-end Android phone and old version iPhone.
2. Provide only the basic editing features with ordinary effects.
FaceTune is another selfie photo editor to smooth face, crop unwanted parts, apply filters and add frames. You can widen smiles, make teeth brighter, remove blemishes and wrinkle and correct the angle of the selfie photos.
1. Great face recognition that controls effects and filters with high efficiency.
2. Localize fingertip brushing of effects and edits to edit the portraits.
3. Improved skin smoothing, skin tone color and other algorithms.
1. Limited support for the social media websites, such as Instagram.
2. The advanced features, such as healing brush are available to Pro version.
Prisma is another photo editor with special effects, which turn any photo or video into art. There are multiple filter features that make your photos look like a negative, a sketch or even a painting that you must have wanted.
1. More than 300 special styles, like Van Gogh, Munk, Picasso, Levitan, etc.
2. Apply artistic and stunning effects for both photos and videos with ease.
3. Integrate with deep learning algorithms to apply the filter correctly.
1. Reduce the image resolution and provide the square images only.
2. Limited photo correction adjustments, editing features and B/A modes.
Instagram is one of the most popular social media applications around the world. Actually, it is also a photo editor app with basic photo editing tools and photo adjustments, including color, saturation, contrast and more.
1. Create some special photo effects, such as vignette, shadows and fade.
2. Effect filters range from simple B&W to retro film styles to cross processing.
3. Slider control zipping across to this best-guess setting and adjust it to taste.
1. Just provide some basic photo editing tools to touch up and edit the photos.
2. Instagram camera does not add the HDR and panorama options.
Snapseed is a comprehensive picture-editing app, which has selective adjustments for photo filters and effects. Besides the basic editing features to enhance and correct photos, you can also create HDR and Pano photos.
1. Provide lens blur, grainy films, vintage styles, curves styles, frames, etc.
2. Offer tools and filters, including brush, HDR, crop, transform and so on.
3. Ranges of exposure, color, masking and reshaping tools, brushes, and filter.
1. Require a certain level of photographic expertise to edit the photos.
2. Auto save feature is not available to save the edits automatically.
VSCO is not only a great photo editor, but also integrates excellent camera function. It has advanced presets and filters, which you can use revolutionary film X tools and presets to personalize easier, even for the RAW editing.
1. Provide extensive presets to make the editing process with ease.
2. Editing tools to crop, contrast, trim and other picture editing processes.
3. Active community for photographers to communicate and share photos.
1. No frame, text or funky special effect available within the photo editor.
2. The crop tool works only with preset aspect ratios.
As the all-in-one photo editor for iPhone, Enlight provides the basic editing and adjustment tools to stylize photos. It provides comprehensive image editing tools to customize pictures without losing image quality.
1. Provide masking option for all tools to make the editing seamless.
2. Reproduce classic cameras, vintage films and other analog film effects.
3. Photo mixer that overlay two photos to get double exposure image.
1. Lack of some basic editing tools than the competitive photo editors.
2. More and more similar features are available with other free tools.
Aviary is the photo editor for Android and iOS that offers creative filters to perk up your pedestrian image. Moreover, the program also let you fine-tune them with controls for brightness, contrast, colors cropping, and more.
1. Cool Memo lets you add text as cat photos with large block letters.
2. Portrait touchup with blemish remover, red-eye remover, and teeth brusher.
3. Crop tool uses touchable corner controls and offers preset aspect ratios.
1. Cannot share the edited photos directly to the community of Aviary.
2. Purchase more advanced filters in order to release all the features.
AirBrush is the professional photo editor Android apk to beautifier self-portraits. It includes features to whiten teeth, smooth blemish and pimple, brighten eyes and other retouch filters, which is regarded as cosmetics.
1. Provide natural and radiant filters to beautify portraits in details.
2. Real-time editing technology to edit self-portraits before shooting.
3. Attractive to makeup in front of cameras on the picture editor on Android.
1. Lack deeper method to slim your body or face with the help of clothing.
2. Out with a set of impressive editing and enhancing tools, such as tilt-shift.
What should be the most suitable photo editor for your device? If you have any difficult to choose an editing program for your Windows, Mac, Android phones or iOS devices, you can check out the desired one from the compiled list. Read on the review and even download the program to have another try. More comments about these programs, or even add more applications, you can share the detailed information in the comments.
Rate This Post