How to Sell Photos Online As A Photographer
Last Updated on June 10, 2023 by Peter Wood
If you are satisfied with your photographers to use the stunning photographs, someone may want to pay for them. To sell photos online, you should learn more detail about the process and the websites. The article explains every detail to make a profit from your photographs online. If you have any questions about selling photos online, you can share the information with us in the comments.
Like the other products, you can sell photos online from your websites and third-party websites. And if someone is browsing the stunning photo gallery and finding the favorite images they like, they will purchase the photographs online accordingly.
Part 1: What Types of Photos People Want to Buy?
Currently, the biggest customers of online photography are bloggers, website owners, and small business owners. Every post created by bloggers, small business marketers, or website owners for social media updates needs an appealing image. And our research found that there are a few categories in demand.
1. Photos of people.
2. Pictures of travel.
3. Images of cities.
4. Photos of work situations.
5. Photos of products.
6. Animal pictures.
7. Landscape images.
8. Special photos, like close-up photos, panoramic pictures, and more.
To learn how to sell photos online, you can grasp these popular photo categories. And if you have an excellent camera, you can do this. We suggest the beginners look at the most popular images on the website to sell their photos.
Part 2: Create the Best Photos Possible for Selling Online
Even though you have a professional digital camera, you need a photo editor to create the best photos possible. And that plays a role in resolving the problem of how to sell photos online successfully. From this point, we recommend Photo Denoise. It is a professional photo editor to reduce and remove spots, blemishes, and more. The advantage is to deal with imperfect photos in batch.
How to create the best photos for selling online with Photo Denoise
Step 1: Import photos
Launch the photo editor and click on the Import button at the bottom left corner to load the photos you want to sell online. It also supports the drag-and-drop command.
Step 2: Reduce noise
The software will analyze the noise on the loaded images automatically. You can reduce noise by adjusting the values of Luminance and Chrominance on the left side. And the Sharpness feature is used to enhance the details of the images.
Step 3: Soften faces
If you are processing photos of people, Photo Denoise can wipe blemishes and wrinkles from the images with the Face Soften function.
Step 4: Export photos for selling online
Finally, press the Save button to export de-noised photos to hard disk or hit Share to sell images online directly.
Part 3: How to Sell Photos Online Directly from Your Site
It is a great option to sell photos online on your website. You can build your own independent online photography brand. And more importantly, you can keep all sales in your pocket. You can make a website with WordPress and download Sell Media Plugin to start the business.
1. Once you decide on your website domain, you can set it up on WordPress or use your codec to build a website.
2. If you are using WordPress, you can use multiple plugins to sell photos online. A plugin like Sell Media can be installed and set up, allowing you to start profiting from your images immediately.
3. And you can watermark a photo with your logo with Photo Converter or even add your name to the photographs. The program also helps you to make images smaller.
4. Blogging can help you sell photographs online. You can blog about your everyday life as a photographer, the business of photography, or anything that allows you to showcase your image interestingly.
5. Before you start the business, make sure everything runs well. Just have a beta test to the whole procedure. Ask some friends to purchase the photos to have a try.
Part 4: How to Sell Images with Third Party Websites
Of course, you can also upload them to the 3rd party website, and then you can share the sales with the platform. Usually, the website will bring you some traffic to sell photos online. You can also have advertisements and have some promotion activities with these websites to make more profits.
1. Some 3rd party websites to sell photos online are also online photo storage. You can register for the website or get an account on it first.
2. Choose from the different licenses for different usage. Some websites provide affordable images to designers, business owners, authors, and bloggers.
3. And then upload photos to the website. You can use website designs, blog articles, posters, flyers, book jackets, company reports, newsletters, and pretty much any other use.
4. Just as mentioned, selling your photos through the 3rd party website or a stock agency, you do not have to worry about the traffic of the visitors. Many people search for images on these sites every day.
5. You can also have some advertisements with the website or even have a promotion to earn more traffic of your shop on the website.
Part 5: Places to Sell Your Photos Online
What are the best third-party websites to sell your photos online? In this part, we will share the 5 most profitable sites to sell your photos online.
1. 500px Prime
500px Prime is a popular photography community that has attracted millions of photographers. If you list your photos on this site, you will receive 70% net for each license sold. A standard license on 500px Prime is $250. The operation of how to sell photos online is easy too. All you need to do is submit your photos after registering a free account. And 500px is also a place to learn about professional photography skills.
2. SmugMug Pro
SmugMug Pro offers 85% of the markup of your images. It attracted many photographers to subscribe to a Pro account, which starts at $12.50 per month. You sell a photo for $10.50; for example, the SmugMug default price will be $0.50. The markup is $10.00, and your profit is $8.50. And it offers a wide range of services besides selling photos online, like photo print.
Shutterstock uses a different pricing structure and offers a variety of monetization methods. You can upload photos or refer other photographers to make a profit. If the image is downloaded over 500 million times, for example, you can earn more than $300 million depending on the size of the photos. And if you refer a transaction, you can get 20% of the first purchase.
iStockphoto has had an extensive network of content creators since founded in 2001. It has a professional team to review your qualifications. Compared to another open market to help you solve the problem of how to sell photos online, iStockphoto is more like an agency. After being accepted by this site, you can receive 15% to 45% of sales. You can request payments up to twice per week with PayPal, Moneybookers, or Payoneer Mastercard.
Adobe operates Fotolia. And there are millions of buyers. If you sell photos on Fotolia, you can get 20% to 63% royalties. These royalties will go to your account immediately without any threshold. Currently, this site has integrated into Adobe’s software packets, like Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. So you can upload photos from these desktop programs to the site directly. Payment is via Moneybookers or PayPal.
You should know many popular websites like Alamy, PhotoShelter, PhotoMoolah, Etsy, Can Stock Photo, 123RF, Dreamstime, FineArtAmerica, Snapped4U, and more. To sell more photos online, you can cooperate with more websites to earn more money instead.
Of course, you’ll be paying a large commission on each sale for every image you sell. These fees vary quite a lot between different sites and depend on the licenses restrictions you offer. Most sites provide between 20% and 60% royalty to the photographer per sale.
You can combine both solutions to sell photos online as a photographer. To build your site for selling these photos is a long-term solution. If you are a famous photographer, you can enjoy lots of traffic with ease. But you can also boost the traffic to sell photos online to 3rd party websites first. If the customers from the photo stock sites are satisfied with your photographs, they might visit your website later.
After that, you can write some blogs or articles about the photos or showcase your artwork to social media to get more traffic accordingly. Once you want to start a business to sell photos online as a photographer, you can follow the above steps to have a try. Just leave the website information in the article. We will visit the sites to find stunning photos.