Last Updated on December 30, 2021 by Peter Wood
Do you want to make your photos great? Photo editors provide plentiful photo effects and filters. Here we introduce the top 5 photo effects to make a great photo. Moreover, you can learn how to make the photo effects in detail. Compared to sharing or saving the original picture, photo effects and filters can make your photos attractive and personalized. If you spend a few minutes browsing the photo effects introduced in this article, you will be surprised that your photos could be as great as a magazine.
The photomontage is a photo effect and a photo collage. This photo collage can display a collection of multiple photos and create a new picture with hundreds of photos. In the past, only professionals could create photo montage effects. Now, working with some excellent photo editors, such as WidsMob Montage, you can make gorgeous montage photos like professionals.
1. After installing Photo Montage on your computer, open this program. Click on the plus icon in the upper right corner to import a background picture.
2. Then add tiles photos to combine a montage photo. You can put all tiles photos in a single folder and select the whole folder to load all tiles photos at once. Photo Montage supports most photo formats, like JPEG, JPG, TIFF, RAW, and more.
3. After loading the tile photos, the advanced algorithm will organize the images and create a montage photo according to the background.
4. Finally, save the montage photo on your computer.
By default, Photo Montage will save the output in high resolution.
Microsoft continuously improved Windows operating systems. It had included a Photos program for Windows 8. And for Windows 11/10, Microsoft integrated more features in this Photos program and made this program a utility. Windows 11/10 users can use this Photos program to apply filters to pictures.
1. There are multiple ways to open pictures in the Photos program. You can Launch the Photos program and import the images or ask Cortana to open photos with Photos.
2. When you want to apply filters on the picture in Windows Photos, click on the pencil icon at the top right corner to open the photo editor window.
3. Choose the Filters menu on the left side ribbon to evoke a photo filter Windows Photos has six photo filters and two image effects in the Effects menu.
4. Select a photo filter or photo effect, such as black-and-white, vignette, selective focus, and so on. Then unfold the settings menu on the top ribbon and adjust the effect from Strongest to Weakest.
5. If you are satisfied with the result, click on the tick icon at the top of the window to confirm changes.
Windows Photos supports updating the original picture with an edited one, saving a copy, or sharing to Facebook.
The water reflection effect seems simple. But if you want to create a realistic water reflection effect, it may be more complicated than you thought. The good news is you can make a water reflection effect on any photo, such as landscape photos and character photos.
1. Import the picture: Open the picture to apply the water reflection effect in Photoshop. Go to the Layer menu and choose Duplicate Layer to create a copy for the background layer.
2. Extend the canvas: Select the background layer, unfold the Image menu on the top ribbon, and choose Canvas Size. Then input 100 and 200 in the field of Width and Height, choose percent on the drop-down list, and press the square of Anchor. Then click on the OK button to confirm it.
3. Flip the copy layer vertically: Go to Edit menu, choose to Transform, and Flip Vertical. Put the rotated image under the original image.
4. Create water effect: Select the copy layer, go to the Filters menu, and choose Wave in Distort filter. Adjust the parameters until you get a satisfactory photo effect. Then you can export the result to the local hard drive.
Apple had built a Photos app in Mac OS. And Mac users could enjoy the same subtle photo filters that Apple introduced for iPhone and iPad. That means you can add photo filters to images without installing third-party applications on a Mac computer.
1. Launch the Photos app on your Mac computer. Then Photos will display all the images on your computer. Find the image you want to add a filter and open it.
2. Click on the Edit button at the upper right corner of the editor screen. Then hit the Filters menu on the right side ribbon to open photo filters. Select your favorite filter to add to your image.
3. The preview panel will show you the result in real-time. After adding the filter to your image, you can click on the Adjust icon to reset saturation, contrast, and other parameters.
4. During the process, you can use the Cancel button to discard the changes at any time; while if you are satisfied with the result, click on the Done button on the top of the screen to save the changes.
By default, the Photos app will update the original image with the one added filter.
WidsMob Viewer is a photo manager and a database of photo effects. Compared to Photoshop, Photo Viewer has several advantages:
1. Photo Viewer supports almost all picture formats and loads hundreds of photos in different photo formats at once.
2. This photo editor can read the EXIF information and organize the photos automatically.
3. Before applying photo filters, you can view the photos in multiple modes, such as viewing mode, slideshow mode, EXIF mode, and so on.
4. You can use the batch features to resize or convert hundreds of photos.
5. There are photo filters to roll out more photo effects for this program.
1. Open Photo Viewer and click on the Add button in the upper left corner to load the photos you want to edit. Or you can drag and drop the images into this photo editor.
2. After loading, you can switch to different modes to view the original photos, like Slideshow Mode, EXIF Mode, and more.
3. When you are ready, click on the Edit button to the photo editor. Locate to the Effects tab. Photo Viewer provides eight filters by default: B&W, Sepia, Antique, Fade Color, Boost Color, Sharpen, Blur, and Color Invert. Choose a photo effect, and then you can navigate to Adjust tab to customize the photo effects by changing multiple parameters, like exposure, contrast, and so on.
4. Finally, export the result to a local hard drive or share it to social networks.
With Photo Viewer, you only need four steps to use photo filters as you wish.
The Black and white effect could turn an ordinary photo into art. Some professionals apply the black and white photo effect to a part of the picture to highlight some subjects in the image. Here we intend to share how to create a black and white photo effect online.
1. Access BeFunky in any browser and choose Photo Editor on the home page. Unfold the UPLOAD menu and upload the image from any input source.
2. When you open the image, press the Effect icon on the left side and choose BLACK & WHITE. Press Black & White 1 to apply this effect on your photo. Then hit the Settings icon on Black & White 1 effect.
Go to the Paint tab and select ERASE option. Draw on the subject to erase the black and white effect. Click on the tick button to confirm changes.
Then you can save the output to a computer or cloud service.
Online photo editors usually support uploading the output to social networks directly. You can get more black and white photo editors here.
Almost every Smartphone user has a photo editor app on the device. Photo effects apps are popular photo editors among young people. Before sharing photos to social media, they can help us apply various photo effects on the images and make them unique. So, a photo effects app is a powerful tool to make your stories attractive.
But what a good photo effects app should be?
First, it should have extensive photo effects and filters. Moreover, it should have the capacity to add photo effects to the photos without damaging quality. If a photo effects app integrates social media interfaces, it will be more convenient.
Want to learn this tool and more photo effects tools?
Now, check the following 8 apps to help you create photos with photo effects.
We always said a good photo should be clear; however, the blur effect is unique. This photo effect allows you to blur a part of the picture or the whole background. Then audiences will focus on the subject highlighted in the photo. If you want to apply the blur effect on an Android phone, follow the details below.
1. We use a photo editor called Point Blur. You can explore the other photo editors’ potential with this guidance.
2. Open the picture you want to apply blur effect into this app. Locate to the bottom of the screen. All editing option is to blur the entire photo.
3. We choose the Touch tool to blur the background only. Draw the photo background to make it blurry. If you blur the subject mistakenly, you can use the Clear tool to reverse it.
4. Then touch the Save icon to save the result to the photo gallery.
Note: Get to know more methods to blur a picture? Just read how to add a blur effect to photos.
Silhouette photo is another creative photo effect to make photos great. It is easy to create silhouette photos on Smartphone. All you need is some photo effect apps, like Silhouette.
1. Open the Silhouette app on your iPhone and select the picture you want to edit by pressing the Camera button.
2. When the image is loaded, this app will create a silhouette effect by default settings. Then you can start editing it with Edit Items, like replacing the background of the silhouette photo, changing the colors of the silhouette area or photo background, and more.
3. After adding the photo effect, press the Save button to export the result to the camera roll.
Photo Effects Pro is a dedicated tool for applying photo effects to your photos. The features of the photo effects app include:
1. It offers more than 40 filters and effects to make any photo funny, stylish, or art.
2. You can add stickers or text to your photos.
3. This app is also a good photo editor that could crop, rotate and adjust photos.
4. After applying filters, you can share the results to social networks, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr, and more.
1. This app is free to download in Play Store.
2. Photo Effects Pro allows you to preview and undo filters at any time.
1. It does not support iOS devices.
BeFunky is an all-in-one photo effects app. If you need a versatile photo editor, it is a good choice. Its basic features include:
1. It has dozens of photo effects and filters, like Vintage, Pop Art, Instant, Summer, and more.
3. The built-in photo editor integrates all necessary photo editing tools.
4. You can share the results to social media, cloud services, or the BeFunky album.
1. It offers tools like photo filters, editors, and sharing.
2. Although it has many features, the interface is concise and easy to navigate.
1. The output quality is not as good as other photo effects app because it cannot save the photos in full resolution.
PhotoMagic is another popular photo effects app among mobile phone users. Its basic features include:
1. PhotoMagic embedded more than 30 photo filters, including Color Tint, Vintage, B/W, Sketch, and more.
2. And it also has over 30 photo light effects to make your photos unique.
3. The built-in photo editor offers crop, rotate, text, and other photo editing tools.
4. It also has many frames with custom options.
1. This photo effects app offers many photo filters and effects.
2. The interface is intuitive and easy to use.
3. You can save the results in full resolution.
1. PhotoMagic does not support Android phones.
2. It is a paid photo editor.
3. This photo editor is a paid app.
Camera+ is an excellent photo effects app with extensive features. It is not only a photo effects tool but also a professional camera app.
1. The built-in camera feature offers plentiful custom options and turns your Smartphone into a professional camera.
2. It can clarify and enhance your photos with one click.
3. Camera+ offers tons of 1-touch image filters and effects.
4. This app allows you to overlay multiple filters on a single picture.
1. This professional photo effects app has extensive features, from camera to editor and filters.
2. It works well with iCloud and Camera Roll and supports a wide range of social media and cloud services.
1. You cannot use it on Android phones.
If you want to apply photo effects and make your photos funny, PhotoFunia could meet your requirements. Its key features include:
1. PhotoFunia integrates tons of photo effects and filters.
2. Developer updates the photo effect library frequently so you can get fresh ones.
3. It allows you to add text or signature to prevent illegal copy.
4. You can share the output photos to social media or save them to a photo gallery.
1. It has more photo effects than other photo effects app.
2. PhotoFunia supports saving the photos in full resolution.
3. This app is free to use on Android and iOS.
1. It only works under an internet connection.
Retrica is a photo effects app and a camera tool for smartphone users. Its basic features include:
1. It has more than a hundred real-time photo filters and effects.
2. This app could take photo collages and apply different photo effects on photos.
3. After taking photos and applying effects, you can save the results in a private album or share them on social media.
1. Except photo sharing, it does not need to work in the internet environment.
2. This app is available for both Android and iOS.
3. You can preview the photo effects and undo them at any time.
1. This photo app lack some necessary features, such as red-eye removal.
Here we introduced photo effects and filters of photomontage, water reflection, black and white, photo blur, and silhouette effect. After taking a photo, you can try these photo effects to make the original image unique and personalized.
Besides these photo effects, we also share various tools and methods to apply the photo effects on different platforms.
We usually process photos with Photoshop and other photo editors on PCs. Photoshop is more appropriate to create complicated photo effects. However, Photoshop is not an easy-to-use photo effects tool even to advanced users. A photo editor, like WidsMob Montage, could simplify the process of photo effects and filters applying.
Online photo editors can make photo effects without installing programs on PCs.
When it comes to mobile devices, things become simple. And there are plentiful photo editing apps for iPhone and Android devices. We have introduced the key features of this photo effects app in detail.
Plus, we have shared more photo apps that offer many photo effects. Photo Effect Pro is a powerful photo effects app. BeFunky is a versatile photo effects app. PhotoFunia has more photo effects. Camera+ and Retrica integrate camera functions. PhotoMagic offers unique photo effects for iOS users. You can choose your favorite one and make your photos unique immediately.