Last Updated on December 6, 2021 by Peter Wood
DNG is a file type by Adobe Systems Inc. to address several issues surrounding raw file image processing. You can take it for granted as a RAW format. There are some differences between DNG and RAW. When you want to take full advantage of the Digital Negative Format, you should learn more detail about the pros and cons of the files from the article.
WidsMob Media Viewer - View single image, multiple images, folder-based images, and videos in incredible fast speed and simple operation with various viewing modes. You can browse all your photos (including RAW files) and videos in one window without extra clicking and operating.
DNG is short for Digital Negative format and is a patented, open, non-free lossless RAW image format by Adobe. The name DNG is from the concept of a Digital Negative. Adobe’s open standard can store image data in a generic, high-compatible file format. All the Adobe photo manipulation software supports DNG files.
Adobe submitted the DNG as a standard raw file format to the International Standards Organization (ISO) in 2007. The DNG format provides the information structure, process instructions, image metadata, verification tool, etc., and can preserve image files and process intent in a photographic archive.
Why do photographers shoot in DNG instead of other RAW formats? Here’re some reasons for using the DNG format. You can regard them as DNG pros as well.
1. There is no need to worry about the new camera adoption. DNG is an archival format. And it is available to any third-party developer, including Lightroom, Photoshop, and more.
2. You can check the condition of the archived files.
3. DNG stores a standard-size preview. You can enable Fast Load Data to open an image faster in Lightroom or Camera RAW. Thus, you can speed up DNG file data read times with multicore processors.
4. Compared with original RAWs, DNGs are in smaller file sizes. DNG is a compact RAW image format.
5. DNG retains the RAW characteristics of the source image. Therefore, you can use DNG images to create Photo Merged panoramas or HDR images.
6. DNG supports R&D saving.
Since there are so many positive comments about DNG, is DNG the best image format? Of course, the answer is No. It is not always good to shoot, saving or export in the DNG file extension. Here are some DNG negatives
1. It is time-consuming to convert DNG from RAW files.
2. Many leading camera manufacturers are not compatible with the DNG file format.
3. DNG is not widely supported by all image viewers and editors. You can consider the DNG compatibility.
4. Saving the edited changes to a DNG image will slow down the backup process. The backup software needs to make a complete DNG file copy instead of the XMP sidebar files, not proprietary RAWs.
For the above reason, after converting RAW to the format, some graphic programs will not know what to do with the converted DNG files. Another problem is that the file cannot turn back to CR2 or other RAW files later. Remaining in the original RAW file format is very important when converting RAW to another format. You will lose some features of the original files.
What are the differences between RAW and DNG? We are talking about the differences between different RAW formats. All RAW files are not created equal, especially for DNG format. Just learn more detail about the similarities and differences between RAW and DNG.
1. Both DNG and RAW formats store RAW image data produced by the camera. Then the image quality is much better than JPEG and TIFF files.
2. The formats contain a full-color JPEG version of your RAW files and metadata. Metadata includes camera information or EXIF data of the digital camera.
3. Camera raw files are typically some flavor of the TIFF/EP format. It is a type of TIFF file designed for electronic photography.
1. DNG has a well-documented and published specification. And then third-party software can manipulate the format to the software safely.
2. Compared to other RAW formats, DNG can embed different profiles. It requires at least one color profile and custom camera profiles and profiles from third-party manufacturers.
3. It has a very robust metadata storage capability, which means that the settings you use to render your images can embed in the format for added security and portability.
4. While proprietary raw files do have an embedded JPEG for previewing, that file is generally not updatable as the file gets edited. It means that the preview will show the original version.
To quickly open hundreds of thousands of DNG images on Windows and Mac, you can use WidsMob Viewer Pro. It is supported to open DNG and all RAW images in one window with multiple preview modes. No matter how many DNG images you want to open, you can browse and manage camera DNG images with 5x speed.
Moreover, it is more than DNG viewer software for Mac. You can apply video and image editing effects and organizing features. For instance, you can resize, rename and convert DNG images on Mac in batch. It is also supported to crop, rotate and flip your image. Later, you can save or share RAW DNG images anywhere you like.
1. View DNG, JPG, PNG, RAW files, and the video formats.
2. Import one image to DNG viewer to view all files within the same folder.
3. Different viewing modes to check thumbnail, full screen, and slideshow.
4. Apply effects, convert to JPEG format and even organize the files.
Step 1: Import DNG files to DNG viewer
Download and install the DNG viewer on your computer. Launch the program and drag-n-drop the DNG files into the program. You can view the DNG files directly with advanced hardware acceleration.
Step 2: Manage the DNG files with ease
Besides the editing features, such as rotating, flipping, and deleting DNG files, you can click the Edit option to adjust the different parameters and apply a desired effect for the DNG file.
Step 3: Convert DNG files to JPEG
FastRawViewer offers the basic correction and technical analysis for RAW images, including DNG files. If you do not know whether FastRawViewer is suitable, you can check the supported cameras for Adobe Digital Negative (DNG) from its official site.
Platform: Windows, Mac
1. Display the actual DNG image and histogram.
2. Read DNG files from any memory card or network server directly.
3. Offer professional image editing and adjusting tools.
1. There will be leftovers after you install FastRawViewer.
2. FastRawViewer is not a user-friendly DNG viewer for beginners.
If you want to open DNG files on Windows 10, you can use Explorer and Photos as DNG image viewer software. Windows 10 supports the DNG format natively. To open DNG files on Windows 8/7, you need to install Adobe DNG codec 2.0 from Adobe’s website. Later, you can run DNGCodecInstaller.exe to view DNG image files on Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Or you can use Adobe Photoshop to open and edit a photo on your Windows computer. It is super easy to open DNG files in Photoshop. Just drag and drop DNG files to the Photoshop interface. Or you can use Adobe DNG Converter to convert camera RAW files to DNG before opening with Photoshop. You can also check the following DNG Viewer for Windows to open DNG files on your PC.
FastStone Image Viewer provides a free license for personal and educational use. You can use FastStone Image Viewer as your DNG viewer freeware for Windows. All major graphic formats and popular digital camera RAW formats are supported, including DNG, RW2, SRF, ARW, CR2, etc.
1. Open DNG files with a familiar Windows Explorer-like interface.
2. Wide support of digital camera brands and related image formats.
3. True DNG full-screen viewer with image zoom, editing, and re-sampling features.
1. The font in FastStone Image Viewer is too small.
2. FastStone Image Viewer can be sluggish sometimes.
DNG Viewer is a free image viewer designed for DNG image format on Windows 7 and earlier versions. You can view, convert and resize DNG files on a Windows computer. But there are not many image editing tools.
1. Open DNG images for free on your computer.
2. Convert and save DNG to JPG, PNG, and other image formats.
3. DNG Viewer is safe to download and use. There is no malware, spyware, or virus.
1. There is no DNG Viewer for Windows 10 and Windows 8 versions.
2. DNG Viewer is not friendly to multiple DNG viewing.
Is it possible to open DNG files online? Well, there are some online DNG file viewers you can use, such as photopeak, group docs, and more. Thus, you can open a DNG file online on any device without installing it. Raw.pics.io would be one of your best choices.
Raw.pics.io is an online DNG file viewer and converter. You can open DNG images with any browser on your phone or computer. Or you can convert DNG to JPEG, PNG, and other formats online.
1. Browse DNG images on any browser.
2. Convert DNG to other image formats online.
3. Edit, compress and change the pixel size of your DNG picture.
1. Require the Internet connection to run the DNG viewer online.
2. The price of Raw.pics.io is a bit higher than its competitors.
In the recent iOS update, iPhone allows third-party camera apps to save images in DNG format. Thus, a DNG viewer app for iPhone does not matter a lot. This section will focus more on the DNG viewer app for Android users.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is from Adobe Photoshop technology. You can open and edit DNG images on Android like a pro. With the built-in Lightroom presets, retouches, and image editing tools, you can unlock your photography potential.
1. Open DNG image files while preserving all details.
2. Retouch and apply enhancements to any part of your DNG image.
3. Get pro-level camera controls to take a picture with exposure, timer, instant preset, and more.
1. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom crashes occasionally.
2. Thumbnails may be invisible in the DNG viewer Android app after importing.
Just read and see how to open a DNG file on Android or iPhone.
Step 1: Upload an unzipped folder with DNG files contained to Dropbox or other cloud services.
Step 2: Run Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for Mobile app on your phone.
Step 3: Tap the three-dot Settings icon on the top right corner. Choose Add Photos. Navigate to the location of DNG image files.
Step 4: Double-click on a DNG file. You can download the image file with the .dng extension to Lightroom.
Step 5: Choose this file and select Copy Settings from the Settings menu. Tap Select All but unselect Crop. Later, choose OK to move on.
Step 6: Select a DNG picture you want to edit in Lightroom mobile. Choose Paste Settings from the Settings menu.
Snapseed supports both JPG and RAW files. You can open and tweak RAW DNG files on Android. Moreover, you can make an Instagram-style image easily via Snapseed presets and filters.
1. Open DNG images on Android with RAW development support.
2. Bring out the surface structures of DNG images.
3. Edit DNG image files with 29 tools and filters.
1. Some icons in Snapseed need to be improved.
2. There are many complaints about Snapseed UI.
Manual Camera can turn your Android phone into a digital camera. You can shoot with white balance, and other controls. Of course, you can use Manual Camera as your DNG file viewer app for Android via its RAW support.
1. View and export DNG images on Android.
2. Get manual control of RAW shooting.
3. Turn your phone into a manual camera with simple clicks.
1. Manual Camera is not free to use. You need to spend $2.99 to access it.
2. Many Android phones are not supported.
You can open and edit RAW DNG images on Android with filters from VSCO. It is also a social platform. You can see the followed photographers and communicate with them as well.
1. Open DNG images and apply effects with 10 free presets.
2. Capture RAW images for further editing.
3. Analog film effects to images captured by your phone or digital camera.
1. Need to join VSCO membership to unlock the complete preset library of over 200 presets.
2. VSCO freezes or crashes after the new update. It is slow to open a DNG image with VSCO.
Adobe Photoshop Express is more than an Android DNG viewer. You can create picture collages, generate memes and make corrections on images.
1. View DNG image file with multiple touches and presets.
2. Upload images from multiple sources and formats, including RAW DNG, TIFF, and more.
3. Share your DNG images in email, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Flickr, and more after editing directly.
1. Need to register an account to run the DNG viewer and editor app.
2. The user interface is complicated for novices.
When you want to learn more about DNG files, you can find the definition of the file formats, cons and pros, and the comparison between RAW and DNG files.
All in all, you can open DNG files on Windows, Mac, online, iPhone, and Android with the above programs. If you don’t require many image editing filters, using WidsMob Viewer Pro can be your better choice on macOS. The program focuses more on RAW DNG viewing. You can also get image editing and managing tools. Compared with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, you can get an intuitive interface, lightweight package, and reasonable price. For people who want to open files in DNG and other RAW formats, it is worth a free download and have a try.
Do you have any other questions about desktop and portable DNG viewers? You can feel free to share anything about DNG viewing here.