Screen Grab on Mac – 8 Best Screen Grabbing Programs to Capture Screen You Should Know
Last Updated on December 21, 2021 by Jane Joe
A screen-grabbing program is a utility to capture images and record video. What should be the best method to grab a screen on your Mac? If you intend to record your gameplay and share it on Twitch, for example, you will need a screen grabber. The high-quality screen captures and videos should be helpful for training or marketing. Just learn more about the 8 best methods to grab a screen on your MacBook with ease.
Top 1: WidsMob Capture
WidsMob Capture is a versatile screen grabber for Mac to capture videos, record audio, add webcam files and take snapshots. You can also add mouse cursor, annotation, shape, text, or even draw on the recording as desired. Moreover, you can also tweak the frame rate, bitrate, sample rate, and even the codec for the recording files.
1. Grab video screen, capture audio, add webcam files and take snapshots.
2. Customize the video files with multiple audio settings and video settings.
3. Add annotation, shape, text, mouse cursor, and draw on the files.
4. Manage the recorded videos and images within the media library easily.
How to Grab Screen on MacBook Pro
Step 1: Launch the screengrab tool for Mac once you have installed it on your MacBook Pro. Select the Record Screen option from the main interface to record video, capture audio, and take snapshots. The Capture Screen option can take a screenshot.
Step 2: Turn on the Display option and set the recording area on your requirement. If you want to add your facecam to the screengrab, you can also enable the Webcam option. You can also choose the desired audio channels to record to the output.
Step 3: Set the output format and other options in the Preferences dialog. Just as the video format, frame rate, and bitrate of your video, or the sample rate of the audio file. When you are ready, click the REC button to start grabbing the screen on MacBook Pro.
Step 4: When screen grabbing, you can also click the Stop icon to save it to Media Library within the program on your MacBook. Here you can view the thumbnail and open it in the media player or share it to social media websites.
Top 2: QuickTime Player
QuickTime Player is the native media player on Mac. In addition, it includes several functionalities include a screengrab tool for Mac. You can use any Mac series to use QuickTime without installation.
1. Free to use without any restriction.
2. Grab a screen with audio and sound.
3. Offer basic custom options.
4. Support both internal and external inputs.
1. The output formats are limited.
2. It can only record screens up to 720P.
Top 3: ScreenFlow
ScreenFlow is an all-in-one screen grab tool for MacBook Pro and other Apple computers. It gives you the capability to create high-quality screen recordings, gameplay videos, and more on Mac machines.
1. Grab screen on MacBook Pro/MacBook/iMac.
2. Do annotations, blur, add captions, and more.
3. Zoom into a focal point on your screen.
4. Switch between webcam recording and screen capture.
1. It is large and takes much space.
2. Some features are useless.
Top 4: Jing Screen Recorder
Jing is a free screen grab tool for Mac. Unlike other TechSmith programs, Jing is pretty lite and easy to use. It is a good starting point for beginners with ease, especially with a limited budget.
1. Free to use on Mac computers and laptops.
2. Grab the Mac screen and take screenshots.
3. Offer basic custom options, like hotkey.
4. Provide a paid version with advanced features.
1. The output quality is not very good.
2. It is too simple for advanced users.
Top 5: Camtasia Studio
Camtasia Studio is the screen grab utility on Mac for advanced users. You can get a wide array of tools in addition to screen grabbing or editing the video as a profession for the grabbed videos and audio files.
1. Work well on most Mac computers and laptops.
2. Grab your screen or capture webcam.
3. Offer a full features video editor.
4. Support multiple videos and audio tracks.
1. It cannot add Face Cam to the screen recording.
2. It is expansive compared to features.
Top 6: OBS
OBS is an open-source screen grab tool for Mac, especially gameplay videos. Though it is a little difficult to learn, everyone can use it without paying a penny. Plus, you can get the full features of the program.
1. Open-source and free of charge.
2. Grab a screen, a window, or gameplay.
3. Add your reactions to the recording via webcam and microphone.
4. Provide advanced features for gameplay recording.
1. It is not as stable as professional programs.
2. The user interface is not intuitive to master.
Top 7: Screencast-O-Matic
Screencast-O-Matic is a web-based screengrab app available to Mac to capture onscreen activities. It offers a desktop version, but the web app is enough to grab the Mac screen with ease.
1. Grab any area of your screen without installing anything.
2. Support video screen, webcam, and microphone.
3. Easy to use the program without any charge.
4. Capture the desired files without downloading any software.
1. It can only grab a screen for up to 15 minutes.
2. It lacks some features, like a countdown.
3. You are prompted to download the desktop version frequently.
Top 8: IceCream Screen Recorder
IceCream Screen Recorder offers some features to grab a screen on Mac. You can use it to take screenshots or even effectively record your screen and then edit them quickly.
1. Record screen, apps as well as screenshots.
2. Make gameplay videos on Mac OS X.
3. No watermark or time limit.
4. Contain rich features.
1. The custom options are a bit limited.
2. It only offers limited editing tools, but not a video edit.
Based on the review above, you should understand which video grab tool you can use on Mac OS X. Some of them are extremely simple and easy to use. Others let advanced users get rich features to grab the screen and edit it later. WidsMob Capture, for example, is not friendly to average people but can meet the need of advanced users. If you have better suggestions, please leave a message in the comment area below this post.