Last Updated on December 29, 2021 by Jane Joe
When you want to take a screenshot for the onscreen of your MacBook, what is the best snipping tool for Mac you can take into consideration? It is a reliable method to take screenshots on your MacBook. Different from the snipping tools of your PCs, taking screenshots on Mac is not a much easier task.
Apple has introduced the snipping tools into Mac, which relies on hotkeys to work without a user interface. Therefore, this article will tell you the built-in snipping tool for Mac in detail and show you the 5 best alternatives. Just choose the desired one according to your requirement.
To take a screenshot for your Mac, you can take advantage of the built-in snipping tools on Mac is a set of button combinations. Just learn more details about how to use the snipping tool for Mac as below.
Capture the entire screen to press Command + Shift + 3. Then save the screenshot to your desktop.
Suppose you want to take a screenshot of a selected portion, press Command + Shift + 4, and select the desired area. Once you release your mouse, the screenshot will appear on the desktop.
Press Command + Shift + 4 if you want to take a screenshot of a window, object, or element. Once your cursor turns to a camera icon, use it to select the desired window.
To save the screenshot to your clipboard, you can also press the Control + button combination.
You can add snipping tools for Mac to your Touch Bar on your MacBook. Go to the System Preferences and choose the Keyboard option. After that, you can click the Customize Control Strip option and drag the camera icon to your Touch Bar. Just click the Done to confirm the settings. The camera icon should appear on your Touch Bar. And you can take a screenshot.
Moreover, you can customize the hotkeys of snipping tools for Mac. You can click the Apple menu, go to the System Preferences menu and choose the Keyboard option. After that, choose the Shortcuts option and select the Screenshots icon with the Snipping tool for Mac.
WidsMob Capture is more than a simple snipping tool for Mac, which you can take snapshots, capture video and record audio files. Moreover, you can also draw on the screenshots or add additional elements to the files within clicks. It simplifies the process of screenshot making and offers extensive tools.
1. Take screenshots, record video, and capture audio on Mac.
2. Record onscreen activity, gameplay, or app, and save it as a video file.
3. Draw on the taken screenshot with the snipping tool for Mac directly.
4. Decorate screenshots with lines, shapes, arrows, and other elements.
Step 1: Launch the snipping tool for Mac once you have installed the program on the computer. Select the Capture Screen option to take screenshots on your MacBook. If you want to record onscreen activities and make a video tutorial, you can select the Record Screen instead.
Step 2: You can select the recording area. Use the cursor to the top-left point and drag your mouse to cover the whole part to customize the desired region accordingly. Once you release your mouse, save the screenshot to the Media Library folder.
Step 3: Moreover, you can also draw on the screenshot directly, add arrows, text, and more other shapes within the snipping tool for Mac. If you want to share screenshots, you can select them in the Media Library. Press the Share icon and choose the desired channel.
Grab is another official snipping tool for Mac. It supports capturing a marquee selection, a whole window, and even the whole screen, as well as time, snaps on your MacBook with ease.
1. Take screenshots for windows, screens, or custom areas.
2. Free of charge snipping tool and no requirement of the installation.
3. Make schedules to take screenshots with the time snapshots.
4. Easy to use interface to capture the desired screenshot in clicks.
1. This snipping tool for Mac does not offer any picture editing.
2. Just a simple tool that the output formats are limited.
Monosnap is a versatile service, which includes screenshots and video tools. The snipping tools for Mac have advanced features to save files to cloud service and secure content management.
1. Take a screenshot of the window, full screen, or a part of the screen.
2. Support a wide range of image formats or even video formats.
3. Add annotation to screenshots and add other elements to the file.
4. Send the screenshots to iMovie, other Mac apps, or even cloud services.
1. It is expensive to use the snipping features compared to others.
2. The advanced features need to upgrade to the pro version.
Snagit is a snipping tool for Mac that can do process instructions that are easy to use. You can capture real-time data and make a step-by-step guide on Mac. No matter business use or personal use, Snagit is a good option.
1. Capture real-time data from a page in Safari on Mac.
2. Integrate a GIF maker to convert recordings to animated images.
3. Offer borders and image effects for screenshots.
4. Sync screenshots to a mobile device via Wi-Fi.
1. It is pretty pricy compared to the features.
2. Sometimes, there is a limit on the size of the window.
Snapz Pro X is a dedicated snipping tool for Mac. It allows you to effortlessly capture anything on your screen on Mac and save them as a QuickTime movie or screenshot. You can email it or upload it to the web for US$69.
1. Make screenshots on Mac without data loss.
2. Create training videos, product demos, and more.
3. Faster than a most snipping tools for Mac.
4. Introduce new features after every update.
1. It will add a watermark to your screenshots in the free version.
2. It requires a 64-bit processor.
Based on the review above, you should master the top 5 snipping tools for MacBook. Though Mac has the built-in snipping tool, it is not intuitive. You can learn more about the unique benefits and advantages. WidsMob Capture, for example, is not only easy to use but also can produce the best output quality with ease.