What should I do if I cannot open the NEF files on my Photoshop? How to convert NEF to DNG for further editing? NEF is the RAW format of Nikon digital camera, which cannot be used with Photoshop or other photo editing software directly. Just learn more about the benefits to convert NEF to DNG and the best methods to convert the NEF files from the article now.
DNG, standing for Digital Negative file, is an open-source RAW file format created by Adobe. Essentially, it is a standard RAW file format available to a wide range of camera manufactures and image editors.
Here are several reasons that you should convert NEF to DNG:
1. Compatibility. The cameras from different manufactures can produce various RAW file formats. NEF, for example, is the RAW file extension for Nikon. CR2 is produced by Canon. DNG format is open source and not limited to specific manufacture or photo editors. In another word, Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and many different software supports the DNG format.
2. File size. DNG files are around 20% smaller in file size than the same RAW files, but not lose any quality.
3. Keep data file. XMP is the metadata file for each original RAW file. It will contain instructions about how the file should be processed. Advanced photo editor can adjust exposure and temperature based on XMP file. DNG file is able to store the XMP data along with your photo, so you do not need to save XMP files anymore.
4. Detect file corruption. The DNG format can detect file corruption. Regular RAW files do not have such ability.
Adobe DNG Converter is a dedicated DNG converter program developed by Adobe. Of course, it enables to convert NEF to DNG on both Windows and Mac with ease.
Step 1: Open the NEF to DNG converter, and click the Select the “Folder button” folder to import the folder storing NEF files you wish to convert. You can also drag and drop the NEF files or entire folder onto the converter icon to open them directly.
Step 2: Go to the Select location to save converted images section. You can decide to “Save in Same Location” or hit the “Select Folder” to set another destination folder.
Step 3: Set the filename rule in the Select name for converted images section. And make sure to select dng from the File extension drop-down list.
Step 4: If you want to change the custom options, click the Change Preferences button to get them in the Preferences dialog. The Compatibility option, for example, is able to create DNG files for different versions of Photoshop and Lightroom.
Step 5: Once you are ready, click the “Convert” button to start converting NEF to DNG. After that, you can manage the photos or further edit the RAW files within Photoshop or Lightroom afterward.
Note: Adobe DNG Converter is just a NEF to DNG converter. It does not provide other functionalities, such as photo management.
If you need to further edit the NEF files, you can choose JPEG or TIFF file instead of DNG, which can be used for all the photo editors. Moreover, you can remain the original photo quality. WidsMob Viewer Pro is one of the best NEF to DNG converter alternative to view NEF/DNG files as well as convert the photo formats.
1. Convert NEF or DNG format to JPEG/TIFF/BMP files without losing quality.
2. Batch process to convert multiple NEF/CR2/DNG/HEIC at the same time.
3. View NEF within different mode and even manage the photos with ease.
4. Provide extensive bonus tools, such as photo editing, filters and slideshow.
Step 1: Launch the NEF converter once you have installed the program on your computer. Insert the SD card into the computer and double click any image to open the all NEF photos within the same folder. It supports NEF, DNG, JPEG and even the videos.
Step 2: There are several methods to view your NEF files directly. If you want to view a photo in full screen, access the folder, and click the “View” option and choose the “Enter Full Screen” option. Select another file at the bottom to view the RAW photos.
To view all photo thumbnails, select the album under Library and all photos will display in thumbnail. Move the slider below to adjust the thumbnail size.
Want to view EXIF information? Open the NEF file and click “View” option and choose the “Show Info” to show the EXIF data.
If it is not convenient to view each photo manually, go to the album and click View -> Slideshow. Then all NEF files in album will show up one by one.
Step 3: Choose the “Batch” option in the “Edit” list, and then select “Batch Convert” to open the profile dialog. Select a proper image format from the Format drop-down list, and adjust the quality based on your need. After that, you can click the Convert button to convert NEF to TIFF or other format.
When you want to convert NEF to DNG for further editing, you can use the Adobe DNG Converter to convert the RAW format. Of course, you can also use the best alternative solution to view and convert NEF files with ease via WidsMob Viewer Pro, on the other hand, offers more bonus tools for NEF management and conversion. If you have more questions about how to convert NEF to DNG, leave a message in comments.