Digital devices already become the most important part of our life. We almost cannot do anything without these devices today. As the cameras of digital devices increasingly improve, we take more and more high quality photos on our devices. Backup photos become more and more significant. These photos recorded the footprints of our lives and the achievement of our work. However, the lifetime of any hardware is limited. Although we use them carefully, abrasion and damage is unavoidable. Not to mention that thieves are staring at the advanced equipment. Backup is the ultimate solution to these problems. Therefore, this article will introduce how to back up photos to external hard drives.
Windows 10 is the latest version of Windows. And many users do not understand how to back up photos to external hard drive. Actually the process is similar with Windows 8.1.
1. Organize the photos and save them in one folder on Windows 10.
2. Click on Start and select Settings.
3. Find out the option of Update & security.
4. Plug the external hard drive in USB interface.
5. In Update & security window, click on the button of Add a drive and select the external hard drive.
6. Click on More options to activate Backup options box.
7. Tap on Back up now button and then Add a folder.
8. Then select the folder saved the photos to backup.
9. After a few minutes, the photos will be copied to the external hard drive.
It will take longer time to backup these photos for the first time. And the next time, the program will skip the repeated photos automatically, so it will become faster.
Mac is developed by Apple. And the unique operation system makes the backup process special as well. To back up all the photos on Mac, you can organize the photos and other files in iTunes.
1. Insert the external hard drive, which is big enough to store all the photos, to your Mac computer.
2. Format the external hard drive before backup, if you use it to back up for the first time.
3. Time Machine application is the professional backup utility for Mac users. Navigate to System Preferences and open Time Machine.
4. Select the external hard drive as the Backup Disk and turn Time Machine on to activate the backup process.
5. The initial backup photo process may take a while depending on the amount of the data on your Mac computer.
The backup process needs not only carefulness but also patience. It may take a few minutes to back up photos every time. But when you upgrade your computer, you will discover that it is convenient to restore the backup photos.
To keep security, Apple does not design a USB interface for iPhones. So users have to transfer photos from iPhone to PC and store these photos from their computers to external hardware.
1. Unlock your iPhone and open Settings.
2. Find out iCloud option and open it.
3. Select Photos and turn on iCloud Photo Library. Then all the photos on our iPhone will be uploaded to iCloud automatically when your iPhone connects to Wi-Fi.
4. Then turn to your computer and access the iCloud on browser.
5. Log in the same Apple account and download the photos to back up from iCloud Photo Library to computer.
6. Then you can follow the guidance above to backup the photos from your computer to external hard drive.
Backup photo is not a one-off work. It needs you to do it frequently. Although iPhone users could synchronize photos from iPhone to iCloud, the storage of iCloud is limited as well. So it is a better choice to keep the photos in external hardware.
To computers, the USB hard drive is a good choice to back up photos; for Android handsets, the external SD card is the popular choice to back up photos.
1. Insert the external SD card to your Android handset.
2. Unlock your smartphone and navigate to Settings. Scroll down to Storage to check the storage of the SD card. Make sure that the space of the SD card is big enough to back up the photos.
3. Launch the explorer app that is usually an icon looks like a folder. Open the memory of your smartphone, which is usually called storage or phone. And all the photos taken by your smartphone store in the folder of Camera.
4. Select the photos to back up. Click on the drop-down menu on the top of the screen and select Move; and then choose SD card as the destination.
5. Then the photos will be backed up to the external SD card in a few second.
After the process, you can unplug the external SD card and keep it in a security place.
BitTorrent Sync is a cloud service for backing up Android photos. When you need to keep copies of your Android photos tucked away on a laptop or NAS, BitTorrent Sync should be a good option as the Android backup App. BitTorrent Sync will back everything up whenever you are on the same Wi-Fi network.
1. Launch the Android version of BitTorrent Sync to back up photos.
2. Tap the Context menu to choose New backup option.
3. Select the Pictures option and tap the “+” icon to add Android photos.
4. Once you choose a folder, it will appear in Sync main view and backup photos automatically.
OneDrive is another popular back up service provided by Microsoft Corporation. The back up App has a Camera Backup feature, which allows you to upload Android photos you take on photo to OneDrive. But OneDrive only offers 3GB storage space for free. You can turn on Camera Backup feature from Settings to upload photos in full resolution and in good quality with Wi-Fi network.
1. Open OneDrive App on Android phone to backup Android photos.
2. Select the Camera Backup option from the drop down menu.
3. Tap on Turn on icon for the Camera Backup button.
4. The Android photos will be automatically backed up to One Drive account.
There are many photos sharing networks online, like Facebook, Snapchat, and Pinterest. However, these networks are not good at save photos. Even if you save photos to SD card, you will find the SD card run out of space within a short period. The benefits of storage photos in professional photo savers are clear. We can not only save our photos orderly, but also look at these photos across devices. Therefore, in this part we will introduce five useful photos savers.
Flickr is one of the most popular photo savers online. It has added more features and a new layout in the last few years to attract more users. Here are the most attractive features include.
1. If you register a Flickr account, you will get 1TB storage for free and you can save 500 thousand photos. But when you upload photos, Flickr has a 200MB limit size.
2. Flickr users could organize, tag, comment, share, and print their photos.
3. Flickr also provides editing tools for photos.
4. Recently, Flickr has launched two new features, Camera Roll and Uploader. Camera Roll allows us to organize your photos according to the date. So you can find the photos through months and years. Uploader is desktop software for both Mac and Windows users. We can upload photos from our PC to Flickr directly via Uploader.
5. Of course, if you need more features you have to choose to pay for $6 per month or $50 per year to upgrade the photo saver app. And if you need more space, you have to pay for $499; then you can get 2TB storage.
Finally, Flickr does not support multiple image formats, like GIF.
Some people like to use Google+ as their default photo saver. Therefore Google released a more professional application called Google Photos to meet Internet users’ needs. The basic features include:
1. This photo saver is totally free for Google users, and it will provide 15GB storage. While if that is not enough, you could also pay for extra fee to expand the storage. There are two choices, $1.99 per month for 100GB or $9.99 per month for 1TB.
2. We can upload photos from PC to Google Photos on photos.google.com, or through a desktop app called Picasa. And there are also apps for iOS and Android.
3. The best feature of Google Photos is synchronization. After setting up automatic upload photos in app, the new photos on our phone will synchronize to Google Photos.
4. Google Photos could offer some amazing functions, because Google has integrated artificial intelligence into Google Photos. For example, Google Photos could identify the place you take the photo and tag it.
5. If you have uploaded a series photos, Google Photos will stitch them together to create a panoramic photo or an animated photo.
6. This photo saver could also create stories for the photos took in holidays or special events.
If you do not like these cool features, you can just throw photos to Google Photos. And then it will organize the photos on a timeline.
Amazon Prime Photos is a part of Amazon’s cloud storage service. It also provides 5GB space for subscription users to save photos. The simple features include.
1. The photos saved in Amazon Prime Photos arrange chronologically.
2. And users could just post photos in Amazon Prime Photos in email, Facebook, or download them to our computer.
3. There are photo saver app on smartphones and PCs to upload and download photos. The best feature of Amazon photo saver is automatic backup.
If you are not a Prime subscription user, the costs of photo saving will become $12 per year.
Photobucket is one of the most popular photo savers, partly because it provides unlimited storage. The principal features include.
1. In addition to save photos, Photobucket is also a convenient platform to share photos. This photo saver integrates with Facebook, users could share photos directly. Users could also use the auto-generated URLs to embed our photos in messages.
2. Photobucket users also like to utilize the tools and filters to edit their photos.
3. This photo saver allows users save 2GB photos for free. And if users download its mobile apps, the storage will expand to 8GB for free. There are also extra paid versions, including 99 cents per month to remove advertisement and $40 per month for 500GB storage.
Based on the analysis above, we can select the photo savers online we like and enjoy the service freely.
DropBox should be one of the most popular backup service automatically uploads photos and videos as you taken them. The online backup service only provides 2GB storage for photos and videos. When you backup photos to Dropbox, you can get the photos from any of your device or share the file/folder with different people in high quality. Just learn more about how to backup photos with Dropbox.
1. Sign in Dropbox before you upload photos for Backup.
2. Tap the menu button to click the Gear or Settings icon.
3. Scroll to find the Camera Upload section.
4. Toggle to either Turn on or Turn off Camera Upload.
Although the performance of digital devices increasingly improves, storing many photos will affect the speed. And if the digital devices were damaged or stolen, the valuable photos would lose forever. So it is an important thing for most users to backup photos frequently. This article has provided the guidance to back up photos from Windows, Mac, Android handsets, iPhone to external hardware or online photo saving sites. When you need to back up photos, you can follow the how-to and keep your photos security.