What is RAF File of Fujifilm Camera and How to Open RAF Files on PC/Mac
Last Updated on August 1, 2023 by Peter Wood
RAF file, or Fujifilm RAW, is a RAW image format used by the Fujifilm digital cameras. To take shots with high quality, you might choose the RAF format instead. What should be the benefits for the RAW files of the Fujifilm camera? How to open photos within your Windows or Mac? Should you convert the RAF to JPEG? It is the ultimate guide about the RAF file you should know about from the article.
Part 1: What is a RAF File for Fujifilm Camera
RAF file is the RAW format of Fujifilm camera that can store unprocessed image data received from a camera’s sensor matrix, a digital negative. It is useful when you need to further edit the photos with Lightroom or other professional photo editors.
Most high-end Fuji digital cameras can save photos in ARF and JPG formats, such as Fujifilm X-T1, Fujifilm X-Pro 1, Fujifilm X100T, etc. If you want to produce high-quality photos or edit images later, you’d better use the RAF file format, which embeds all extensive information within the EXIF metadata.
The RAF files store all information from the camera sensor, including the amount of light, luminance values, camera settings, etc. The dynamic range, color depth, and post-capture editing ability make it the best choice in most cases. Moreover, Some FujiFilm cameras support multiple exposure modes, which allow you to blend multiple images together in-camera or with advanced HDR toolkits. The RAF format can capture multiple exposures in a single file, making it easier to manage and edit these images.
RAF File of Fujifilm Camera Review
1. RAF files handle the conversion process since they represent what the sensor has detected in much the same way as the human eye sees things, light, and colors.
2. It uses lossless compression, which provides the best image quality. Moreover, you can also analyze the parameters or tweak the desired one accordingly.
3. Edit and optimize the RAF photos with the white balance, F-number, and more with professional RAW image editors, such as Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
1. It takes a long time to read and write files from or to a memory card.
2. Cannot be opened as a standard image and requires an additional process.
3. The file size is pretty bigger than JPG. And it takes a lot of space.
Why Cannot Import or Edit ARF Files
Since the codec of ARF files, the default photo browsers on Windows and Mac cannot open ARF files. It is a pity that only a few programs can open RAF files, such as Corel PaintShop Pro X9, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, ACDSee, and Fuji Hyper-Utility Software.
When the RAF image files corrupt, you cannot view the files. Here are several reasons that can lead to the problem. Just have another check as below.
1. RAF files corrupt due to your photo editor crashing.
2. If you edit RAF files in the earlier versions of CorelDraw, they are no longer accessible.
3. Sometimes, the file system on your memory card is a failure. And your RAF files may crash.
Part 2: How to Convert and Open RAF Files
What would be an affordable option to view, edit, manage, or convert the RAF files? If you do not want to edit the RAF photos with Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop, WidsMob Viewer Pro is the desired RAF viewer and converter to process RAW images, edit, apply special filters, and batch convert the RAF to JPEG files. Besides, you can also transfer RAF images to another folder, view EXIF information, make a slideshow, and more.
1. Open RAF image, JPEG, and video files of Fujifilm without extra codecs.
2. Provide multiple viewing modes, such as slideshow, EXIF, thumbnail, etc.
3. Batch convert, resize and rename the RAF image files without quality loss.
4. Utilize hardware acceleration to browse the RAF image at a fast speed.
How to Open and Convert RAF Files
Step 1: Download and install WidsMob Viewer Pro, you can launch it on your computer. Select the SD card folder from the drop-down list. If you have already set it as the default photo viewer, you can simply click any RAF, JPEG, TIFF, and videos to open all RAF files of the Fujifilm Camera within the same SD card.
Step 2: Go to the Library mode and click the + icon to create a new album for the SD card for quick access. Click the View menu and choose the Sort by option. You can arrange your photos by Name or Date. By default, the RAF photo viewer can organize your images and videos using metadata automatically.
Step 3: Double-click any RAF file to access the full-screen mode, you can select the Enter Full Screen option from the View menu. It enables you to choose your favorite photos in a folder, delete the unwanted ones, crop the desired part, or even check the EXIF information. There are different editing features to polish them.
Step 4: When you need to convert RAF to JPEG, TIFF, BMP, or other formats. You can select the desired file and choose the File menu. Choose the Save As option to enter the name of the output file and file format. After that, you can click the Save button to get the desired file format to your computer within one click.
Just learn more about what the RAF file is and its benefits and drawbacks, and how to open and convert RAF. If you have a Fujifilm camera, you can also capture photos in RAF format, a RAW format developed by Fujifilm. WidsMob Viewer Pro is a desired Fujifilm camera companion to view, edit and manage the RAF files.