Microsoft Photo Editor – Top 6 Best Alternatives to Edit Photos on Windows/Mac/Online
Last Updated on February 1, 2023 by Peter Wood
- “Can I get the old Microsoft Photo Editor back? I try to install it on Windows 10, but it does not work. I can only get the updated Windows Photos. What should I do?”
- “Is there a Microsoft product like ‘photo editor’ for Windows 10? Please let me know. Thanks.”
- “Suggestions for easy photo editing software, please?”
Microsoft Photo Editor is a built-in photo viewer and photo editor for Windows. But it is no longer available for Windows 10 or Windows 11 now. You can find the successor Windows Photos to browse and edit the photos. But is there a method to install Microsoft Photo Editor on Windows 11? What are the best alternatives to edit and manage the photos? Just find out the answer from the article now.
Part 1: Brief Introduction about Microsoft Photo Editor
What is Microsoft Photo Editor
Microsoft photo editor is an image-editing program that comes standard with Microsoft Office 97-XP. You can find that it has been replaced by Microsoft Office Picture Manager if you are using Microsoft Office 2007 and the later versions. Moreover, if you have installed Microsoft photo editor on your Windows computer and upgrade to Microsoft Office 2007 or 2003, it is probably replaced by the Picture Manager program.
Fortunately, Microsoft Office allows users to get Microsoft photo editor free download on its official site. If you are not satisfied with Picture Manager, you can revert this program to the former photo editor status.
1. Provide editing features, like creating negative, adjusting gamma, and adding transparency.
2. Adjust light/color, crop frames, markup photos, add 3D effects, remove red eyes, and more.
3. Apply photo effects, such as sharpen, soften, negative, de-speckle, posterize, watercolor, etc.
4. Create new images from a scanner or a camera that a built-in for Microsoft Windows Explore.
How to Download and Install Microsoft Photo Editor
Is there a method to download and install Microsoft Photo Editor on Windows 10/11? Yes. Instead of downloading the program directly, you can follow the program to install the wizard to use the program accordingly.
Step 1: Free download Microsoft photo editor
Click the providing link under the Resources section. Locate the Microsoft photo editor free download page. Later, you can choose the Click to Download option to download Microsoft photo editor Windows for free. Click Save to confirm the process.
Step 2: Completely install Microsoft photo editor
Wait for a while to download the full version of Microsoft photo editor. Once the download process ends, you can double click its icon. Follow the on-screen instruction wizard to install Microsoft photo editor for Windows 10 and other operating systems.
Part 2: 2 Best Alternative for Microsoft Photo Editor
1. WidsMob AI Retoucher
When you need to find an all-in-one Microsoft Photo Editor alternative, WidsMob AI Retoucher is the desired choice for Windows 10/11. Besides the basic editing features of Microsoft Photo Editor, you can explore multiple AI algorithms, such as noise reduction, low-light recovery, haze removal, AI cartoonization, AI portrait, AI face mosaic, and more. Moreover, there are features to enhance HSL parameters, apply stunning filters/effects, and others.
1. Enhance photos with noise reduction, low-light recovery, haze removal, and others with AIs.
2. Polish portraits via skin smoothing, teeth whitening, freckle removal, enhance skin, and more.
3. Convert photos to cartoons, pencil sketches, paintings, and other stunning filters and effects.
4. Tweak light adjustments, add HDR effects, apply B/W films, remove image background, etc.
5. Edit photos via cropping, rotating, flipping, and adding/removing text/image watermarks.
Enhance Photos with AI Retouch
Go to the AI Retouch menu, you can choose the desired option to touch up photos, such as Noise Reduction, Lowlight Recovery, and Haze Removal. Once you selected the desired AI option, it will enhance photos by reducing noises, recovering low light, and removing haze automatically with one click.
Convert Images to Cartoons with AI
When you need to turn images into cartoons and paintings, choose the AI Cartoonization menu to apply different cartoon modes, such as Portrait or Classic. If you need to make photos into different paintings, you can choose the AI Style Transfer menu and select the desired option to get the effect.
Provide Basic Editing Features
If you need to crop the photos, rotate the images, have a comparison, or even adjust the different HSL parameters as Microsoft Photo Editor, you can find the Crop menu from the bottom. Go to the Adjust menu to tweak saturation, brightness, contrast, hue, shadows, highlights, vibrance, and color adjustments.
Touch-up Portrait Images via AI
As for portrait images, the Microsoft Photo Editor alternative has an advanced AI algorithm to touch up skin, shine, eye circles, and blemishes. It detects all facial points and provides some basic editing features. Moreover, you can also use the professional portrait editor to apply multiple presets or have makeup.
2. WidsMob ImageConvert
WidsMob ImageConvert is more than an image converter, it enables you to convert, resize and edit photos in batches. When you need to manage photos from scanners or digital cameras, it should be the best choice to convert photos. Moreover, it has an AI image up-scaler that enables you to enlarge photos to 4X the original size without losing quality. Moreover, it provides presets to apply a series of filters within one click.
- Convert RAW to JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, WebP, AVIF, and other file formats in batch.
- Provide AI Resolution Upscale to enhance the photo size and quality within clicks.
- Resize photos in different modes, add image/text watermarks, and add photo frames.
- Customize multiple presets to apply a series of editing features within one click.
Convert Photos to Other Formats
It enables you to convert most file formats to another, or vice versa easily. Besides the generic photo formats, such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and others, it also supports animated file formats, like WebP, AVIF, and GIF. Moreover, it enables you to customize the frame, resize the photos, and add watermarks before conversion.
Provide AI Upscale Resolution
If you need to upscale the resolution of some images with low-resolution, it also enables you to enhance the photos to 4X the original photo size with the original quality. It should be the best Microsoft Photo Editor alternative to convert photos from different devices, including digital cameras, scanners, and others.
Customize and Apply Presets
Besides the basic photo editing features, you can also use the Preset features to custom a preset with a series of actions, including resizing, rotating, adding watermarks, and more. If you want to edit the photos for websites frequently, simply choose the Microsoft Photo Editor alternative to touch up within one click.
Part 3: 2 Online Microsoft Photo Editor Programs You Can Try
PicMonkey is a Microsoft photo editor online alternative program. You can edit, design, collage, and touch up photos with lots of filters. So it can satisfy your basic photo editing requirements with a user-friendly interface.
- Offer various easy-to-use photo-editing tools online.
- Edit a photo effortlessly with the latest decorations.
- You need to join its membership before accessing all inserted filters.
2. Pixlr Editor
Pixlr is a large community that allows users to upload photos for commerce usages. As for Pixlr Editor, it is a free photo editor that offers photo editing tools. So you can achieve most photo editing tasks online without installing Microsoft photo editor.
- Provide a simplified interface similar to Adobe Photoshop.
- Its interface is clean and easy to understand.
- You cannot get any preset or profile from this Microsoft photo editor alternative online.
Part 4: 2 Offline Microsoft Photo Editor for Windows 10/8/7
Paint.NET is a free Microsoft photo editor alternative, with which you can touch up your photos. Moreover, you can get an active online community to make friends with the same interest.
- Support for layers, unlimited undoes, and other filters.
- Provide friendly help, tutorials, and plugins for free.
- Its user interface is kind of out of date.
2. Photo Pos Pro
Photo Pos Pro can be your free Photoshop alternative program, and you can regard it as your Microsoft photo editor Windows free alternative as well. If you upgrade it to the ultimate version, then you can get much more features than before.
- Offer the interface for both novice and advanced users on Windows PC.
- Get many one-click filters and automatic adjustments.
- There is a size limitation for the exported files.
When you need to download Microsoft Photo Editor, you can learn more about features, usage, as well as the 5 best alternatives from the article. If you need to apply some stunning filters with AI algorithms, WidsMob AI Retoucher is the versatile photo editor you should choose. It is the best Microsoft Photo Editor alternative for Windows and Mac.