Last Updated on December 20, 2021 by Jane Joe
GIF is a unique format between image and video. You can create a GIF with still images or animated images. It is also supported to use a GIF recorder to record screen video and save as GIF format. But GIF is not a video format. By the way, you cannot get sound on GIFs.
Because GIF is small in file size, many people use GIFs for easy sharing, uploading, and more. GIF is also a top choice for screen recording. More and more GIF screen recording software is compatible with GIF format.
This article collects 10 top-rated GIF recorders. If you have no idea which one to choose, just read and compare. Now, let’s see which tool does well to record a GIF.
Here’re the recommended GIF screen recorders for multiplatform. With the help of this GIF recorder review, you can get the user experience of each GIF recorder.
If you are looking for a powerful and easy-to-use GIF recorder, you can take a look at WidsMob Capture. It is a simple GIF screen recorder with multiple editing and annotation tool. You can make a GIF recording file with any streaming video or image and record a webcam video as GIF as well. You can add text, mark pen, and other drawing effects to your GIF capture. Both beginners and experts can make an animated GIF with ease.
Price: Free trial/$19.99
1. Screen record gameplay, webcam, YouTube video, and more as GIF files.
2. Use hotkeys to control the entire GIF screen recording process.
3. Text, draw, outline, and apply more effects to your GIFs.
4. Fast, lightweight, and user-friendly.
1. There is no GIF recorder for the Windows version yet.
2. The trial version allows users to make a GIF for no more than 3 minutes.
The ScreenToGif portable package is a small file size with a built-in GIF recorder and editor. You can record screens, webcam, and sketch boards as GIFs or other compatible formats.
1. It is a free and open-source GIF recorder for Windows users.
2. Contain no ads.
3. Regular updates for screen recording.
1. ScreenToGif GIF screen capture doesn’t show in the Start menu.
2. It may be a little buggy because of the user interface.
Gyazo is a screen GIF recorder for both portable and desktop users. The recorded GIF file will stay safe and private until you share the GIF to the Internet.
Price: Free trial/$3.99 annually
OS: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android
1. Record and share GIFs in one stop on your mobile phone or computer.
2. Access the captured GIFs and images with the chronology tool.
1. Need to upgrade to Pro or Team version to unlock annotations of GIF capture.
2. The GIF sharing links are long and not editable unless you pay for this feature.
Recordit is a fast screencast tool that offers GIF and Twitter support. You can record GIFs on Windows and Mac for sharing directly. But if you want to change the video bitrate up to 12 FPS, you need to upgrade to its full version.
Price: Free trial/$29.00
OS: Windows, Mac
1. The GIF screen capture software is integrated with the top taskbar.
2. Hold and drag the mouse cursor to screen capture a GIF with a custom region.
1. The recorded video uploads to the Internet without your permission.
2. Recordit GIF recorder for Windows version lags heavily.
Capture to a Gif is a free GIF recorder Chrome extension. You can capture an animated GIF from your Google Chrome browser. After recording, the Chrome GIF recorder extension will generate a GIF picture automatically.
OS: Google Chrome
1. Record a GIF on any page within Chrome.
2. Generate and re-generate a GIF with the built-in options based on your need.
1. The interface of Capture to a Gif is confusing.
2. Slow down the browser speed while generating a GIF file.
Peek is an animated GIF recorder for Linux and is in the GIF89a file format. You can capture a GIF with a user-defined screen area. The GIF screen capture can be saved or shared freely.
1. Focus on creating silent GIF animations with extended features.
2. Set a delay timer to record GIF on Linux.
1. Peek provides limited features.
2. No native support for Wayland display server protocol.
Screencastify is also a popular Google Chrome GIF recorder you can try. With the integration of YouTube and Google Drive, you can upload GIF files online in one stop.
OS: Google Chrome
1. Screen record GIF offline without the Internet.
2. Save GIF recording files to Google Drive automatically.
1. If you use Safari, Firefox, or other browsers, the Screencastify GIF screen recorder is useless.
2. User errors occur frequently.
GIPHY is not only a platform for looping GIFs but also a free GIF recorder and maker online. If the GIF searching results are not satisfying, you can record unique GIFs yourself.
1. Create GIFs online with local images and videos.
2. The GIPHY GIF recorder allows users to trim video length and add captions to GIFs.
1. Need to create a GIPHY account before using the online GIF maker.
2. The animated GIF should be less than 15 seconds.
Getkap is an open-source GIF recorder for Mac tool. You can record screens as GIF, MP4, WebM, and other popular formats. It is supported to share GIF animations on GIPHY as well.
1. Record GIF and export to GIPHY, ZEIT, or Streamable.
2. Offer highlight clicks and trimming tools.
1. macOS 10.12 or later is required to run the open-source GIF recorder properly.
2. Overlarge package download size.
Fraps is a screen recorder with a long history. You can record screen videos in MP4 or AVI format. Then you can change the file extension to .gif manually. Fraps allow users to record a GIF with full-size or half-size. Moreover, you can set a specific frame rate for GIF recording.
Price: Free trial/$37.00
1. Record GIF from streaming gameplay.
2. Work with Nvidia and AMD Radeon graphic cards.
1. There is no direct GIF format support in Fraps.
2. Fraps has no available GIF recorder for Windows 10 and Windows 8.
For Mac users who want to make a GIF looping with text overlay, WidsMob Capture does help. You can add text, arrow, line, shape, and other annotations to GIFs with custom color and size. Whether you want to record a GIF from a video game, streaming video, or any other media source, you can get the high-quality GIF screencasts here.
Step 1: Free download, install, and launch WidsMob Capture on your Mac computer.
Step 2: To record the screen to GIF on Mac, click Record Screen to access the screen recorder.
Step 3: In the Screen Area section, you can click the three-line icon on its lower right corner. Set the GIF screen size from Fullscreen, Fixed region, or Custom region.
Or you can drag on the Mac screen with your mouse to set the GIF screen capture area freely.
Then disable the Microphone and Webcam to record a screen video with the Mac screen.
Step 4: Click the red REC icon to record the Mac screen. You can click the Edit icon to add drawing effects.
Step 5: After the screen recording, you can find the file in Media Library. Just find it and change it with file extension as .gif.
All the GIF recorders are for capturing and editing GIFs. You can choose any GIF screen recorder for Windows, Mac, or Linux. The Chrome GIF capture tool is also available. But there is not any GIF recorder with sound as it is a short video. If you want to make a looping GIF with sound, you can convert to other video formats with smaller file sizes as well.