Last Updated on June 17, 2021 by Peter Wood
Masking photo is one of the severe technologies to change Photoshop and other photo editor software usage. However, many people do not understand this technology at all. This photo editing technique can help you to jump from the beginner level to a more advanced photographer. Therefore, this article will explain how masking photo works in Photoshop and how to help you perform non-destructive photo editing.
Masking a photo is a process of graphic software to edit some portions of a picture and leave others. There are three main types of masking in Photoshop:
1. Layer Masking. This kind of photo masking can hide or reveal portions of an image so that you can change and edit various parts separately.
2. Clipping Mask. This type of photo masking can help you make one layer visibility or transparency using another layer.
3. Alpha Channel Masking. Compared to the two types of photo masking above, Alpha Channel Masking is a bit complicated. It uses the channel palate to enhance the contrast and then get the desired effect.
When it comes to the benefits of using photo masking, you can consider at least four aspects:
1. Non-destructive technique. As mentioned previously, you can edit and change photos with the mask layer without damaging the original layer.
2. Make editing an area of a photo easier. If you want to edit some portions of an image, like changing the color of an object, photo masking will make it simple. It can hide some parts and show others so that you can edit them separately.
3. Compare changes. Since photo masking won’t destory the original image, you can compare the photo before and after editing by hiding or showing the mask layer.
Remove background and collage. In the past, it is hard to remove background or make collages with objects on different photos. Photo masking allows you to simplify the workflow.
Step 1: Open a photo in Photoshop and make sure to display the Layers panel. You can set it in the Window menu.
Step 2: Locate the Layers panel, and click the Add Layer Mask button at the bottom. Then you will see a while layer mask thumbnail.
Step 3: Next, select the Brush tool from the toolbar. And you will see several options on the top ribbon. Click on the Brush Picker, and set the brush size and hardness.
Step 4: Make sure to change the foreground color to black. And paint over the image. The black color on the layer mask will conceal the mask layer.
Tip: If you want to reveal the layer mask, change the foreground color to white and paint on the photo.
Step 5: After applying photo masking, go to File -> Save As. Find a proper location and name the photo. If you want to edit it later, save it as PSD. Click on the Save button to export the image to your computer.
Step 1: Create a new file in Photoshop for masking photos and make sure to select Transparent from the Background Controls option. Create a shape, such as a circle, with the marquee tool and fill it with the black color.
Step 2: Go to File -> Place Embedded and place your picture into Photoshop. It will be as a layer above the background layer.
Step 3: Right-click on the picture layer and choose Create Clipping Mask. Then you can crop the picture according to the shape.
Step 4: Change the size by pressing Ctrl + T. Then right-click on the layer and choose to Merge Visible.
Step 5: Next, edit the result and output it to your hard drive.
Step 1: Open the photo that you want to edit with photo masking in Photoshop. Go with the Marquee tool and draw the path to remove the background from the image.
Step 2: Go to Select -> Modify -> Feather Selection on the top menu bar and set the Radius to 35 pixels.
Step 3: Go to the Channels tab next to Layers. And you will see three channels, Red, Green, and Blue. Click on Save Selection as Channel and get a new channel.
Step 4: Select the new channel. And other channels will turn off. Deselect the selection. Go to Filter -> Noise -> Add Noise and set the amount based on your photo.
Step 5: Head to Filter -> Brush Strokes -> Crosshatch and adjust it. Press Ctrl and select the new channel. And then press Ctrl + Shift + I to select inverse.
Step 6: Finally, save the result to your computer.
To use photo masking, you’d better use a clean and clear photo. From this point, we recommend WidsMob Retoucher. Its main features include:
All in all, it is the best way to polish your photos before using photo masking in Photoshop.
Based on the sharing above, you should know what photo masking is and when and how to apply various photo masking in Photoshop. In addition, to edit a photo, masking is also an easy way to make photo collages in Photoshop. Before masking images, you should retouch them with WidsMob Retoucher. It is easy to use and can protect photo quality for editing further in Photoshop. We hope that our introduction, guide, and suggestion are helpful to you.