What Are the Best Alternatives for Picasa Photo Viewer
Last Updated on July 31, 2023 by Peter Wood
Google decides to retire Picasa Photo Viewer to focus on a single photo service in Google Photos. How do I find and use the old version of Picasa? Is there an alternative program for Picasa Photo Viewer? Lots of users are satisfied with excellent programs on the computer. To find a suitable program for Picasa, you can learn more detail about the top 5 Picasa Photo Viewer alternatives from the article.
Part 1. Picasa Image Viewer and Organizer
Picasa Photo Viewer Introduction
For organizing photos, Picasa has file importing and tracking features. It also has tags, facial recognition, and collections for sorting. And it offers several photo editing functions include color enhancement, red-eye reduction, and cropping. Other features include slide shows, printing, and image timelines. Images can use for external use, such as for e-mailing or printing, by reducing file size and setting up page layouts. There is also integration with online photo printing services. Other simple editing features include adding text to the image.
Picasa supports Google's WebP image format, the JPG format, and most Raw image formats (RAW files). A user can view and edit RAW files and save the finished edit (as JPG or other forms) without changing the original RAW file.
On February 12, 2016, Google announced it was discontinuing support for Picasa Desktop and Web Albums, effective March 15, 2016.
How to Download Old Version of Picasa Photo Viewer
If you are willing to use the old versions, you can download the program from the Picasa Photo Viewer 188.8.131.52. And Picasa 2.2 Build 28.20 is still available on the website.
How to Download Pictures from Picasa to Computer
If you have photos or videos in a Picasa Web Album, the easiest way to still access, modify and share most of that content is to log in to Google Photos. Your photos and videos will already be there. So you can download your pictures from Google Photos directly.
Part 2: 5 Best Alternative Programs for Picasa Photo Viewer
Top 1: WidsMob Viewer Pro
WidsMob Viewer Pro is the most outstanding Picasa Photo Viewer alternative for Windows and Mac. It not only works with RAWs, videos, and generic photos but also compatible with the latest AVIF/WebP/HEIC. It has basic editing features to copy photos, delete unwanted ones, check EXIF information, sort the desired photos, and more. There are 4 different browsing modes, thumbnail, full-screen, EXIF, and slideshow.
1. Browse most RAW file formats, generic photos, HEIC, WebP, AVIF, MP4, AVI, MKV, and PDFs.
2. Provide a batch process to convert, rename and resize a large number of photos and RAW files.
3. Compare photos, copy images, delete pictures, sort for the desired one, rotate/flip files, etc.
4. Set the preferences for zooming, folder viewing, mouse wheel settings, looping, and more.
How to View Images with Picasa Image Viewer Alternative?
Step 1: Download and install WidsMob Viewer Pro, you can launch the program on your Mac or Windows. If you have already set it up as the default photo viewer, you can click any image or video to open all the files within the same folder as Picasa Photo Viewer, including RAW files, AVIF, WebP, HEIC, and more.
Step 2: When you get into the Library mode in the left panel, click the + icon or the - icon on the top the add or remove folders under the FAVORITES option. You can simply select the folder to check all files directly. Moreover, you can also select the photo and press the Ctrl + C keys to copy the files or compare two images with the Compare icon.
Step 3: Double-click any image to enter into full-screen mode to browse photos. Just switch to another image from the bottom slide bar. Moreover, you can also remove the unwanted ones with the Trash icon, check the EXIF information of all file formats, or even use the crop feature. Right-click the image to find more features for editing photos.
Step 4: Besides the basic photo effects, such as exposure, contrast, and others. You can convert the RAW files to JPEG, PNG, and BMP. Just select the desired file and click the File menu from the upper left interface. Choose the Save As button and select the desired format, such as JPEG to convert RAW to JPEG accordingly.
Top 2: Google Photos
Google Photos is the default Picasa Photo Viewer alternative. It is a free photo viewer and photo management system, which is available for all platforms. Just learn more detail about the features of the successor of Picasa Photo Viewer as below.
1. Google Photos is famous for unlimited storage with high-resolution images and videos.
2. It can sync photos between different devices with auto-syncing features.
3. Merge two or more duplicates of photos into one photo.
4. Just as Picasa Photo Viewer, you can search through photos with a keyword like the one you used in Google search.
5. Google Photos will arrange all your photos in a grid on your mobile applications. It provides an excellent gallery view for your photos.
6. As the successor of Picasa Photo Viewer, you can find the basic editing features from Google Photos.
Top 3: XnView for Windows
XnView is famous for supporting more than 500 files and save to 70 formats. It is an efficient multimedia viewer, browser, and converter. As the Picasa Photo Viewer alternative, you can find multiple favorite features from the following list.
1. There are numerous ways to browse, organize, and view your images, including thumbnail view, fullscreen view, filmstrip view, and photos comparison.
2. XnView allows you to process your images with an arsenal of editing tools as Picasa Photo viewer.
3. When you want to convert photos to some format, you can save them to more than 70 formats.
4. It is a duplicated file finder that searches for and handles the same photos with ease.
5. XnView has batch processing and batch rename features that handle a large number of photos.
6. The program also provides a convenient Screen Capture module and Windows TWAIN & WIA interface to capture images.
Top 4: IrfanView
Just as Picasa Photo Viewer, IrfanView is the image viewing and editing software. The program has super-fast image processing capability, multi-level compression, sports an enormous list of photo formats, includes many image effects, and more.
1. The batch conversion and rename features allow you to select all images, provide many options to change the format, and rename them.
2. And the sorting and searching features will help you find out the exact image you are looking for with ease.
3. Compared to the other Picasa Photo viewer alternatives, the program can combine multiple images as one.
4. IrfanView can capture the screen in a specified time intervals.
5. If you want to view all the images through a single image, you can add images in TIF to create multipage TIF.
6. Besides brilliant built-in features, it keeps an open space for using multiple plug-ins for advanced users.
Top 5: FastStone Image Viewer
FastStone Image Viewer is another free Picasa Photo viewer alternative with a fast, stable, and user-friendly experience. It is a versatile image viewer with a good array of features. Just learn more detail about the program as below.
1. The program includes excellent features, such as image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, retouching, and color adjustments.
2. It includes some photo editing features, such as Draw texts, lines, highlights, rectangles, ovals, and callout objects on images.
3. And you have more than 150 slideshow transaction effects and music effects, which support MP3, WMA, and WAV formats.
4. Just as the other Picasa Photo Viewer alternative, the program has some features. Such as create memorable artistic image montages.
5. Besides the Windows version, you can also access the portal version of FastStone Image Viewer.
6. Superior Red-Eye effect removal/reduction with a natural-looking result.
What should you do when you still need Picasa Photo Viewer? If the program is compatible with the operation system, you can also find some alternative programs for Picasa instead. WidsMob Viewer Pro is the best choice to view different file formats, including RAW files, generic photos, videos, and PDFs.